Avast 2014 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by khanyash, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm using avast! 2014 the entire time and no, i'm not using it in my native language. I'm using English language.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

actually I really like the new Avast. Love the GUI. Using free on one computer and it is very light. In a couple of weeks if it is still as good as this I will buy. Avast, seems your hard work and dedication have paid off.:thumb:

As far as popups, I really have not found them an annoyance.

3. vojta

vojta Registered Member

Just yesterday I read a coment at the Amazon store about a free Android app. The user was annoyed because, after eight months running the app daily, he was getting a red ad when launching the application. Red was too obtrusive for him and so he uninstalled it and went to Amazon to write a negative review. Do you know how much does the pro version without ads cost? 79 cents of Euro.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I love the people who are so clueless but knowledgeable enough to complain somewhere. He of course didn't notice THE OPTION to turn the ad off FREE of charge inside settings. That's right, you can actually turn off the ads (well not general ads because there aren't any such, Premium features banner) in settings. Is that really so hard? :rolleyes:

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

There are other free AV without useless pop ups, no need to ignore/close Avast pop ups. :)

6. joffy

joffy Registered Member

Does the "automatically switch to the safezone" option work for anyone?
    Tried adding website addresses, ticked the option, but if I go to the site it just opens in the normal browser. Opens ok manually. o_O

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They aren't equivalent, especially in terms of features. I'm curious to see which pop-ups are annoying enough to uninstall a perfectly working anti-virus.

Sounds like the same people complaining about ABP (or anything else) being opt-out to me.

8. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Avast has a lot to work upon especially deepscreen and some of the backend areas I guess.Just waiting to see when dyna-gen and DBT will become real.

10. zip

zip Registered Member

What hppent to avs boot boot time sccner?

11. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

It's still there, nothing happened :)

12. avman1995

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

In which case it's what i've been suspecting for quite some time now. All the (well, large majority) Dyna detections added with a specific name are regular signatures which use SafeMachine 2 to decrypt and unpack and are not actually behavioral detections... no wonder you rarely see DeepScreen detections at all if it's mostly focused only on those and not on bad behavior in general.

14. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Is it a regional issue?
    I have 3 PCs with AIS 9 (2014) and have never seen a popup ad
    No complaints from other Pro and AIS users either.

15. ance

Did you install grime fighter, browser cleaning and the other junk? Maybe it depends on the installed modules. I just installed the AV itself and maybe that's why I got all the pop ups. I don't like it.

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I too don't have any extras activated. Maybe you hit the nail on the head, and that is why we get popups.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I only have Browser Cleanup, Remote Assistance and Rescue Disc along with all the shields. Nothing else.

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

A lot of the ads are inside the definitions update pop-up, so if you turn that off it's a lot better.

I just renewed Avast free again on a PC and got a 75% discount on Avast pro for being a long time customer, nice discount :)

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually if you turn off VPS popups you turn of all ads except the one in main GUI which is static anyway.

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i had the adds also in the is version. i only installed the basic items and nothing extra not even the browser cleaner thing and it kept wanting me to install the "extras" i know i could turn that off but what got me annoyed is i PAID for the is version and i selected CUSTOM install and yet it still harasses me to install the extras i opted out of in the first place by doing a custom install anyway. still love it but will not be using it on my own systems for a while again

21. avman1995

Also after some testing,all signatures with initials sf: is related to the new safe machine 2 stuff.

I saw like 2 detections with sf....I would love to see avast deploying safe machine signatures more often than rare...as it is it sounds like a effective concept in my opinion and it will rock especially when dyna-gen comes into play. :)

22. ance

Wow, even the paid version is nagging? :blink: I like Avast but they should really remove the pop up junk (and the registration of a "free" version). ;) Look at Panda, no junk and no registration.

23. joffy

joffy Registered Member

I'm using the paid IS and not getting any popups in the latest version. I did before. I've only got the software updater, browser cleanup, safezone extras installed.

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i didnt at first either it started after a few weeks. like all of a sudden they wanted me to buy all these "extras". i did reinstall it and let it do a full install and this time i did not get bothered i dont know. seems very mixed results. i have just been disappointed though avast keeps adding all this extra junk. its okay i guess as long as they dont remove the FULL custom installer like some companies do. still not fond of when companies do this.

25. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.