avast! 2014 BETA released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RejZoR, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Updated without problems using the internal updater.

By the way, does anyone else find the "Everything is Good" banner peculiar or is it just me? :cautious:

3. Beta Chrome plug-in (Avast on-line security) seems to intercept pages earlier than the competition and seems to include most free available malware domains, so its ahead on points again :D (and tells me to install Avast AV, which I haven't)

Attached Files:

4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Nice install...smooth so far!:thumb:

5. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Can I use Avast!'s extension alongside Bitdefender's TrafficLight?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have not read the whole thread. Is DeepScreen included in free version?

Thanks

7. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Yes it is. Along with Hardening mode.

8. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Sure. Might slow to surfing a little bit. Give it a try and see what happens.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

10. Brandonn2010

No noticeable slowdown with both, but I have Comcast high-speed.

11. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Well RC3 was like a :eek:

good to see avast taking their time,hopefully I pray that we will get to see a quality deepscreen in the final.

12. Brandonn2010

Does the Avast! extension actually block malicious sites, or just phishing sites and gives a reputation like WOT?

13. Yep try some from malware domains (see picture at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2289228&postcount=278 ).

I played with previous Avast ( v8 ) chrome plug-in, that one blocked less than BD Traffic light (independant tests show simular results http://avlab.pl/page/laboratorium_antywirusowe_podsumowanie_wrzesie_2013 ). New beta seems to block more than BD TL

Avast beta has scope of Do Not Track + Traffic Light + WOT (without troll polution, because Avast checks it), and seems (seems since it is still early days) to really do a good job at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2013
  14. avman1995

Now here is something I havent seen before..

Was playing with RC3 and I got this detection: FilerepMalware.metagen

Dont know what is that? Looks like metadata taken into consideration :D

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Few users in Avast forum reported Deepscreen detected FPs i.e detected safe program as malware. I thought its working now so tested 83 zeroday malware but no Deepscreen detection. So its not working yet.

No single detection here & those lucky guys got FPs:D

16. avman1995

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2288759#post2288759

:rolleyes:

17. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

New technology always takes some time to get right.

18. avman1995

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've set my sister's computer to Hardened Mode (Aggressive). So far she hasn't complained about anything not working. I've enabled it on my main system as well and so far no issues. I'm sure there will be since i like to experiment with new software a lot...

20. Rezjor, come on try a little harder, agressive blocks most unsigned software like Chromium etc. Tested 2014 with Hardened mode in moderate setting (at least with fresh samples I used), took out over 80 percent of the malware gathered in September. Iimpressed with deepscreen also (played with it this weekend), although it slows down the on-execution performance a little, but that is a sacrafice one has to make, more protection comes with more checks and balances. 2014 shows about 15% higher CPU load with on execution check for unsigned than in V8, This does not mean that AVast is 15% slower, it is only first execution extra load before it is placed in cache (for unknown unsigned). Now only running with Avast beta browser plug-in.

This was my only concern, asking someone who is a security novice to allow does this mean an (straight) run or run with deepscreen/sandbox analysis? Hardened mode is targeted at security novices, I would not trust a novice to answer the question yes or no, most will grant a yes. Rezjor do you know the answer on this question (allowing a blocked program to run does this mean it is still run through deepscreen analysis or does this imply an unconditional/unlimited pass).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2013
  21. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Anyone having problems with Avast Free 9.0.2005 RC3 and Sandboxie? I had some yesterday evening. Avast was blocking Sandboxie from opening Firefox.

Later...

Bob

22. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Just updated too Avast Pro A/V...RC3...running Silky Smooth...this must be very close to being released for Prime Time. Super Effort to all the Men and Women at Avast. Sincerely...Securon

23. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I happen to be one of the beta/RC testers that experienced DeepScreen false positives via Programs and Features (Uninstalling legitimate programs)

To me, DeepScreen is good, but it definitely needs some time to mature.

I did report this via the avast! feedback page, so thankfully they are quite aware of what's going on.

24. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

It runs nicely with your WSA combo!:thumb:

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Strange, i never ever had a false positive by Auto Sandbox or DeepScreen. In fact even Hardened Mode is surprisingly quiet and wasn't nagging me when i did a massive Win7 update yesterday or installed brand new beta drivers for AMD graphic card. I guess they take digital signatures into account because it was signed. Seems and feels sort of like Comodo "default deny". Just a lot less problematic it appears...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.