AV tryout pain

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by muf, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muf

muf Registered Member

As my NOD32 licence is about to expire and I can't get v5 to work on my pc, I thought I'd trial a few other AV's to see how they behave.

My system is fairly clean from clutter. It's a relatively new HDD with a few games and a few security apps installed. There's also the customary dvd burning software, Adobe and printer and digital camera software. Pretty much an average system running Win XP SP3 with dual core 2.41 ghz processor and 3 gb of ram.

So first up was GDATA. Slowed my pc to a crawl - gone
    Next up was Panda Cloud. Works perfectly, but slow on-demand scan.
    Next I tried Avira which worked fine.
    So I tried Bitdefender which sucked the life from my pc and broke outlook - gone
    The next one I tried(and turned out to be the last one) was Trend Micro. This pops up saying Spywareblaster has to go, so I uninstall it. Next it says Winpatrol has to go, so I uninstall it. Then it says Malwarebytes has to go, so I uninstall it. Next it says...well at this point I gave up. I suppose it would have got to the point where I had to uninstall Windows XP.

So I'm back with Panda Cloud and I'm toying with keeping either that or going back to Avira. As they are the only two to run smoothly on my pc.

I just wish NOD32 v5 had worked fine as this is something I'd of happily not had to go through.

Paul

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It isnt the AV, its your computer setup. Eset works flawlessly for me like others. So it isnt Eset, it has to be something in your setup.

If it were me it would come down to trialing Eset, Panda Cloud, Avira and Avast. Whatever works the best on your computer, go with it. Simple as that.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I have both, Avira (on the desktop) and Panda Cloud (on the Netbook ). Avira just works period. As for Panda you must be talking about full system scans which are very slow but should have to be performed rarely. The Optimized scan checks the areas where malware is commonly found anyway. Once a full system scan has been performed on your old files you can be assured going forward that any downloads are scanned and any files executed are scanned and you are linked to the cloud as well.

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I'm really impressed, what is the problem of verification of the computer being slow?

Only run a full scan after learning that your computer is clean, pass a check every month, it will not kill him.

What matters is the speed the day to day, not when you scan your PC.

At least I think so.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Either one of those 2 would be a good choice.....

6. malexous

malexous Registered Member

If Avira "worked fine," why did you not stick with it instead of continuing to try others?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.