AV-Test Results for Sep/Oct Now Available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Thankful, Nov 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

AV-Test Results

Simply passing is enough? o_O

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Re: AV-Test Results

The products that pass are already very good and in most cases are able to sufficiently protect users in the real world.

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials loses AV-TEST certification

Article

4. DrBenGolfing

DrBenGolfing Registered Member

Since Windows 8 has been released, MSE has been sending out much larger and more frequent updates.
    Usually the most common source of infections is the loose nut on the keyboard.
    Excuse me while I download this .exe file, .ru, .cn, .dll, and oh, here's an attachment from that poor fellow in Nigeria that needs help getting his $2 billion out of the country. Oooo, look at all the pretty smiley faces.
    Bty - most of these labs flunk Comodo, as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Bottom line, if Microsoft wanted to, they could create a AV that would put all others out to pasture, with the resources they have. But that would be a bad busness decision.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Why that would be a bad business decision, Jeff?

-Is it better now that MSE is losing credibility?

-Doesn't an ineffective MSE,
    which scores low on AV tests,
    hurt Microsoft Image?

It is better for Microsoft
    Not to offer an AntiMalware product
    than offering one of Low-quality.

7. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

@ siljaline,
    The correct thread !!
    Cheers.

8. itman

itman Registered Member

Microsoft should concentrate their efforts on building a secure OS. Something they have refused to do to date.

9. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

there are so many tests now a days that I stopped looking as long as I am satisfied with the MY level of security I'm fine, this endless testing & people changing because of not real world results is out of hand. The only test that counts is on you machine no test will help you there....

10. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

It is a horrible business decision. They are destroying not only MSE image but also Windows image as a secure operating system.

Don't you think that when an AV looses it's certificate it is kind of worrisome? Imagine you looked up your doctor and found out that he is no longer board certified.

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

There are many times when products didn't get certified for one round of testing and were certified again in the next round. Occasional hiccups do happen, that doesn't mean you just ditch the product, especially if it has been working well for you :)

12. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

You are wrong , Microsoft is taking security very seriously .

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

MS tries to improve security without affecting Windows ease of uses that's why its hard i guess. :D
    I mean, they could just enable something like SRP or Applocker by default but that would scare 99% of the users. :D

14. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

A feedback from MS explaining the results could have been nice.

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Has there been feedback on why Panda did so horribly on zero-day in September (73%), or why their repair score is garbage again?

16. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

If Microsoft creates an AV that would put others out of business, the "antitrust" issues would definitely come up.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Correct, that and there is money in malware. Lots of money, worldwide.;)

18. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

i may just be sticking my head in the sand, but I believe with good Internet browsing habits, using Google Chrome Browser, and with the apps listed in my signature, I am reasonably "safe". I've never had a virus and maintain a current backup weekly....so I will remain with MSE + the other apps. At least I have a backup on an external disk which helps make me at least feel secure.

19. er34

er34 Guest

Hey PJC.

Perhaps, Microsoft antimalware products losing credibility is just your own view and some other people's view (may be just in Wilders forums). Truth is more and more people worldwide started using Microsoft AM products.
    Although I don't completely trust organizations and their data, have a look at Opswat data:
    Each and every month, each and every year more and more people started using Microsoft products. It gets more and more market share:

June 2012
    http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-june-2012

September 2012
    http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-september-2012

It is the most used in North America (currently ~27% of people use it according to these reports - it used to be a lot less).
    Every new Opswat report show worldwide usage of MSE gets bigger.

With Windows 8 getting more popular in the time, more people will add to their machines Windows Defender as default protection. In 5-10 years Microsoft antimalware products will get 50% or more market share - this is my own view and prediction - I am just looking the trends.

I work in the IT field - in two places - in store like BestBuy and in a local computer repair shop and I see people want simple, light protection that does its job. This is what Microsoft antimalware products are. They don't want Norton or especially McAfee junk with slow downs, ads to buy it.
    MS Business products such as Forefront Endpoint Protection, Windows Intune or System Center Endpoint Protection are very cheap compared to competitive products. I have yet to see infected machines with MSE/FEP installed that had updated OS and used IE. Smart Screen is extremely effective - test it on your own and you'll see :)

Unlike 3rd party vendors' products (they rely on one product Internet Security type) , Microsoft "antimalware strategy" is based on protection from different sources: Windows Firewall, Windows Update, Antivirus/Antispyware/Antimalware, User Account Control, Internet Security settings, IE Smart Screen Filter, Windows Smart Screen Filter, Network Access protection, Back up (image/files/file history), IE Protected mode, IE Enhanced protected mode, Tracking protection lists, Smart Screen filter for web services (junk mail protection), etc. etc. etc.....There are so many effective technologies in the newest Windows versions (search about them to learn more) that are not tested but when taken into effect, then protection is very high. And they are taken seriously in many cases and by many uses.

I think that Microsoft doesn't care that much about tests. I support trjam, MS is one of the biggest companies and they do have the resources to make whatever program they want, to even beat Google as search engine, but they don't want to. Their income comes from OS, Office. It does not effect their image because:
    - most end users don't read or don't care about these tests
    - real IT pros know the truth about them and understand the mechanism of protection Microsoft products offer.

It has very small installer file (10 MB), small definitions size, includes basic funcitions, includes advanced functions such as very good malware cleaning, Network Vulnerability shield, cloud based Dynamic signature service, Behaviour analyzer (they are active but hidden in the GUI of MSE/WD ; demos about them in this video), its "most advanced function" is that is gives pretty much zero false positives. The last one combined with other protections makes it good competitor, I think

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2012
  20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i for one am not a fan of mse and never have been. i have seen a large number of infected pc's coming into the shop while running it that we have to clean up. much more so than other av's and its NOT due to the fact more people use it. i actually see more people using other av's such as kaspersky and norton on a regular basis but they usually are clean.

i think they *could* be a av giant if they wanted to though. but im not sure why they have not done so yet. i have no future plans on using it either unless at some point it is the go to av up till now i have yet to see that at all.

21. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Just copy/pasting from my blog but:

Really simple. Read the whole report, question where it's failing and why.

22. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Yes, it seems so that they are integrating the whole entire system as one, so it would be lighter and strong. So therefore, the test did not give an accurate score on the real-life situations.

23. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It's just a small picture. MSE has the lowest 0day detection score.

So what's causing that? Well, 0days are going to be caught by heuristics. So why are the heuristics doing so poorly? Because they're prioritizing speed and low false positives over 0day malware.

Does that mean Microsoft is leaving users vulnerable to 0day malware? Well, somewhat. But if you're using Windows 8 then you've got SmartScreen, which is basically only about detection of new malware.

You can look at the other AVs and generally see a direct correlation between higher 0day catch rate and performance impact/ false positive rates.

24. er34

er34 Guest

Smart Screen Filter is actually available in Vista and in Win 7, too because it is part of IE9.

25. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.