AV-TEST Product Review and Certification Report – May-Jun/2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by a256886572008, Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

One pop up giving a file unlimited rights? So if you don't want to be flooded with popups, I have to either give unknown files unlimited rights or not run them at all?

2. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Or not run them at all? NO, you can run isolated which is the default action.

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

And Unlimited Rights popup is for Unknown Installers i.e if the program is found in Comodo TVL or Cloud Whitelists then no popup.

4. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Which causes trouble in case the application needs to do modify files outside of the sandbox.

5. ZeroDay

If it's malware you don't want it running anything outside the sandbox. If it isn't malware and you know it isn't then you wouldn't run it sandboxed in the first place.

6. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

You can't always know whether something is malicious or not.

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Was LOL no one had mentioned Bitdefender's excellent performance here

8. ZeroDay

This was about you saying that CIS alerts for every single application that runs. I've explained how that isn't the case anymore with default settings, so I'll leave it there.

9. spywar

spywar Registered Member

This would have been the case with v3 without any use of whitelist.

10. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Don't leave it there. Give some advice what to do when an application can't run in CIS sandbox but we don't know whether it's malicous or not.:) Oh and HIPS is turned off by default settings because we don't want too many pop-ups.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

Zonealarms low protection score was due to its poor performance against 0-day threats.

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah, gotta give credit where its due.

13. clocks

clocks Registered Member

These are my favorite tests. I usually find the results close to my own tests, and I like the way the data is presented. Very easy to read & understand.

14. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

You necessarily have to configure CIS to give you lots of alerts, otherwise you're stuck with running any application whose safety you are unsure of inside a sandbox, which is annoying as it can cause the application to not function properly. In a realistic scenario, CIS will indeed flood the user with popups.

15. eplose

eplose Registered Member

Emsisoft not included? does anybody know why?

16. ZeroDay

Not in default settings as already pointed out.

Edit: If you're unsure of a files safety I'd say you need to change your download habits before you even worry about how your security product will handle it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  17. ZeroDay

Well that's easy, Check with an on demand scanner. You..Silly sausage ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  18. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

The default settings, as I said, force you to either be absolutely certain of what you're downloading or run programs in a sandbox. Hence, they suck.

My download habits are perfectly fine. Downloading programs from 100% trusted sources all the time would be unnecessarily costly.

19. ZeroDay

Kaspersky also forces unknown programs into a restricted area. No av is 100% right 100% of the time. Some if not all av's are capable of falsely blocking things. Can you explain what you mean about using trusted sources 100% of the time being costly because I don't understand what you mean?

20. guest

guest Guest

Seen your comments is clear that you haven't use CIS in the last years. The whilelist will remove the 99% of popups if any from the apps you have installed.

The results from AV-test does not come from the HIPS protection, it comes from the sandbox, the local AV and cloud AV, the cloud file rating, valkyrie which is one of feeds for the cloud AV..., so all the conversation you have had is irrelevant. Please inform you better before continue posting about CIS.

21. spywar

spywar Registered Member

Completely yes. Whitelisting challenge is like Blacklisting. They will never know all safe programs. But they can try to white list the most known ones...(which is already the case).

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@AVusah: Who's forcing you to just rely on your knowledge and Comodo's Sandbox? Along with what guest said, services like VirusTotal exists for a reason. Do you even use on-demand scanners?

23. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

Does Norton?
    Programs that I currently get for free from untrusted sources I would have to pay for to get from trusted sources.

Actually I installed Comodo Firewall about a month ago, and almost immediately had to remove it because I was flooded by annoying popups.

No one. The point is, other security software can provide similar levels of protection with much less annoyance.

24. ZeroDay

Every product has false positives.

To be honest if you're stealing software you deserve to get infected. But to be fair if you're going to download from an illegal source how can you possibly expect any program to 100% protect you. Avoiding cracks/patches and torrented software in general is rule number 1 in avoiding infection, yes I'm aware all cracks aren't bad but still a lot of them are. I'll no longer discuss this with you if you're using cracks/patches etc and then complaining that comodo sandboxes them because they're not on it's white list.

The way I see it is if you're going to steal software then don't expect other software vendors, including security companies to protect you. Virustotal is always the best way to scan anything you're not sure of, but even then using crack and patches you can't ever be 100% sure. So if I was you I'd learn how to use clean, legal software from trusted sources, perhaps, just perhaps they will be in Comodo's whitelist ;)

25. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

You don't seem to understand the definition of the word "steal." Not everyone likes to waste money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.