AV-test.org Q2/2010

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by fadihu, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

My thoughts too.
    Quite a few years ago I did the rounds of AV proggies resulting in the purchase of NOD32, then when was released I tried it, and I have used it ever since.

However, its impossible for one program to detect everything, so I looked at some anti-malware programs, SUPER AntiSpyware was my ultimate choice, I continue to use it and ESET Security. I am relaxed with these programs so I dont worry about anything getting past them.

2. bloggingpig

bloggingpig Registered Member

1. Keep in mind that ALL AV tests merely test the AV programs at =1 point in time ONLY=!
    Thus, it's like seeing if the policeman guarding something just happened to be asleep/looking the wrong way at that 1 point in time.

2. Continuous testing would be 'nice', but nobody does that in these tests.

Testing a various points in time (eg. several times a month) would be better, but they usually only test once a quarter at most. 4 tests in a year isn't necessarily indicative of actual performance over 1 year continuously.

3. A STRONG FIREWALL properly setup is the 1st line of defense!
    Here, Windows Firewall (at the minimum) with NO EXCEPTIONs or ZoneAlarm Free or better with firewall set to HIGH for everything, All servers blocked, manual Smartdefense, lock hosts file, and Windows Firewall enabled simultaneously works wonders - this latter has protected me for years.

4. Updated system (Windows Updates, Office, Flash, Acrobat at the minimum) every Tuesday + use of a non-IE webbrowser such as Firefox + AdBlock Plus + Prefbar (settings with Javascript, Flash, Plugins OFF unless absolutely necessary & Browser ID string set to IE 6.0 WinXP - faking IE, thus script based attacks don't work right since you're actually using Firefox) is the 2nd line of defense.

The Firefox combo IS ESSENTIAL to browsing HIGH THREAT websites!!
    Attacks that penetrate IE, have non-stop popups, etc. simply fail to work with the Firefox combo - Wrz, Prn, etc. websites simply do not have any vector of attack.

5. Avira/Norton/Eset/etc. Any virus scanner that ranks high most of the time in a variety of tests is to be used (Here, if one looks at VB100 reports, Eset and Norton are the top two that over the MANY years tested, rank high). Aggressive scanning options enabled.

6. NO AV IS PERFECT!!! Just like a Flu shot, it doesn't protect against 100% of attacks, so DON'T start WISHFUL thinking that any AV will do so!!

Re-read above. Then make sure you have multiple lines of defense.

7. Use Jotti online scanner/etc. before opening any downloads.

8. Frequently scan the base system with MBAM + Online versions (those you can run through your web browser) of Norton/ESET/etc AV scanners.

9. Just don't visit bad websites (if possible ;)

10. Make sure your router has firewall, penetration, etc. blocking setup as much as possible. Much harder to penetrate a system behind a properly setup router.

11. Finally - the list of bugs that various AV tests use are not representative of what YOU ACTUALLY encounter!!

Just because they've pulled out the most esoteric bug that only 0.00001% encounter and the AV scanner fails doesn't mean that AV product is a bad one. You're likely to encounter a different subset.

What they're really missing is DOES THE AV scanner protect the BEST against the MOST COMMON list of infections? This is something these AV tests DO NOT TEST! =O Absolutely no point catching that 0.00001% infection when the 99.99% bug isn't caught.

=======

That said, a naturally 'high' score across tests over the years suggests it is a 'capable' product that has a 'good' chance of protecting your system (again, remember no AV protects you 100% - it's impossible). Just like getting a flu shot, it's as best as man can create for the time being, and if you still get the flu, oh well... make sure you've got backups (esp. with Seagate and Western Digital now giving away free copies of Acronis Backup)!

An AV scanner is only 1 part of a comprehensive defense system, and w/o a solid firewall, webbrowser with ad-blocking and javascript/flash/plugins checkbox disabling & browser ID spoofing at any moment, IMO, you're not well protected.

In my case, dual-firewalls (ZA + Windows XP) + AV (Zonealarm, then Symantec, then Eset, now Avira)+ Firefox combo + Tuesday patching + MBAM & Online checkups has kept my system bug free for 5+ years w/o a hitch on safe to bad websites. Simply no infection at all despite friends getting them on lesser setups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.