AV-Test November Results for Android

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Inside Out, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Nice to see that AVG it's now in,i was curious about it.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Does anyone know if Malwarebytes is going to participate in this test soon?

4. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

having a firewall or antivirus on android cell-phones will draw even more battery.
    The battery su*ks in android so for me personaly there will be no antivirus or firewall on my android phone.

5. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Wise decision! :thumb:

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Actually with many android AVs the battery drain is very minimal - and will have little impact on battery life. Most of the time while the AV will be running in the background it will be doing nothing.

I use 360 Mobile Security personally and have found no major impact on battery life - as I have with other AVs I've used in the past. If battery life was significantly impacted then I would gladly remain antivirus free.

Edit: if you look at the test results and click on one the AVs tested it actually states if I effects battery life.

For 360 it said:

7. fax

fax Registered Member

Yeap, if well designed they have little impact on battery life. ;)

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

My reasons for not using a real-time AV anymore is performance, especially RAM usage. Google provides "Verify Apps" and "Android Device Manager", so there's no need for them anymore. Plus, I use VirusTotal, Netqin Online Virus Scan, and Privacy Scanner (Antispy).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. roger_m

360 is using just 9.1MB of RAM, so RAM use is not an issue for me, even though my phone only 512MB RAM.
    Only on Android 4.2 or later. However I never got any viruses even from the many 3rd party app stores I use on earlier versions of Android.

10. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Seems like the more popular vendors among Wilders members are doing quite well. Other than brand loyalty, all it boils down to is mostly feature set and price tag as the differentiating factor for the end user.

11. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Thanks for mentioning the above. Just received a new Nexus 7 and don't run an AV so will add those.

I used to use Trustgo on our phones and it's very decent with no noticable battery drain. Recently switched to Sophos and I'm really impressed. Lots of features, doesn't look like a cartoon, has an applocker, privacy adviser, and most importantly a device locate feature that has worked 100% of the time (via text). Even the default android device manager is better than most of the AV's included device locate functions.

12. ooVoo

ooVoo Registered Member

kingsoft did perfect in stable

13. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

360 Mobile Security is Free.

360 Mobile Safe is Free or Paid? Website shows 360 Safe as PRO & Google Play shows 360 safe as Free?

14. roger_m

It is free.

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Thanxx for the info.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

hmm i was just about to put webroot on my daughters new laptop but i see it seems to kill the battery much faster from doing more reading around the net. anyone know if this is true or not?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  17. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

According to that test, Webroot didn't impact battery life.

I have used MalwareBytes, ESET, and Webroot.. All three I consider the best for Android devices. Can't go wrong with any of them. I have a lot of Webroot keys, so I tend to use that, but the free Eset is effective as well.

I do like the Malware Webshield on Webroots Android Version.

18. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I use the free version of Kaspersky. It has no real time protection, so I can just use it as an on-demand scanner and not have to deal with any battery drain issues. I do a scan every once in a while. It never finds anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.