AV-Test Nov/Dec 11 Report

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sher, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Really Awesome score score by Kaspersky... nailed it.

I am still very happy with results of Norton which has great score and best score in performance :thumb:

Really surprising result in detection from Trend micro, 100% in most of them . They should improve on cleaning and it could be rock solid product.

Finally , McAfee got certified by Av-Test :p

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Good to know; thanks for the update.

3. Sher

Sher Registered Member

As far as I'm concerned, I always give myself enough time (at least a year or so) for any product to impress or disappoint me.

When I subscribed to NIS 2010, I used it for full one year, and it fell way short of my expectations.

Now, the only reason I'm leaving F-Secure is because of the fact that it doesn't support "Google Chrome" which I only use. It didn't let me down even once throughout the year in any aspect. These test reports don't influence me at all, as they will always be up and down for everyone.

And one more thing, I would like to add is, that Kaspersky has always been my top favourite. I have used it for so many years in the past before it got heavy and its protection slipped a bit.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ha ha. And I'm staying with VIPRE.
    Good as KAV sounds to me, I just don't have the necessary motivation to change right now.
    I thought I did, but I don't.
    And with Sandboxie, the importance of an AV is minimalized anyway.

5. Sher

Sher Registered Member

If that's entirely true, then all the AV vendors will shut down their businesses.

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yep, just as soon as every computer user on the planet installs Sandboxie.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I would love to be able to snap my fingers and see that happen Page42, it would be great to see the type of threats we deal with change radically. Exploits in the firewall, exploits in sandboxie, kernel exploits - we'd definitely see more of these.

And more socially engineered malware.

8. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

Perhaps I am the odd man out here, and perhaps I am not seeing something or knowing of a formula or whatever...but that being said I read their documentation, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why Microsoft Security Essentials protection was rated so low (2), when other vendors, such as Webroot had drastically lower percentages and received a higher score for protection.

What is this based on?

9. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

I think different weights to different categories o_O

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Dr. Web should be right up your alley then as they don't let anybody test them.;)

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll be interested to hear if you think Kaspersky is still heavy.

12. Sher

Sher Registered Member

Well, to be honest, with the high amount of RAM most of us put in our systems nowadays, it's not a big concern. I never felt F-Secure to be heavy, and same goes for Kaspersky.

Finally, after a hiatus of so many years, I'm back to Kaspersky.

13. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I've never used KIS before but I am trying it out on a test laptop I have; so far its pretty impressive.

14. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I change occasionally because i get bored and want to try something new or different ,and changing my av usually results in a few days of fun ,and convincing myself whether I really like it or not :doubt:

15. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I hear ya on the few days of fun. :)

16. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I pay attention to the tests but they really only tell you a little about each product. I look more for trends and combine that with other information along with personal experiences. KAV/KIS has been doing increasingly well as of late but I have no personal experience to draw from which has led me to try it. I rarely ever buy this type of product anyway since at some point they inevitably let me down and I get bored with them anyway.

17. STV0726

The thing I really like about Microsoft Security Essentials is the ad-free user interface, and lack of "here's what you're not gettings."

The other free AVs either have ads, show red X's on protections that you are missing out on, and/or both. I understand why they do this to an extent, but to me, that bugs my eyes and I hate having software like that on my PC.

I want it cost free, and free of up-sells. MSE may not be the best, and we'll see what the next version coming out shortly does in terms of ratings/performance, but for someone like me that doesn't rely heavily on blacklist measures of security, it's the winner.

18. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Do u keep on clicking on the antivirus and keep seeing its interface ?

19. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

After trying Kaspersky on and off over the last few years I always found it to heavy,but I've been testing out kis 2012 and I must say I'm very impressed it feels very light, add to that the recent av tests results it's received and I'd say it's a big :thumb: to Kaspersky labs :)

20. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

That's very interesting. I originally had KIS 2011 on my (underpowered) netbook and found it to be a real drag on resources, so late last year I replaced it with NIS 2012 which is noticeably lighter on resources, but not as effective in blocking malware! So if KIS 2012 really is lighter than the last year's version I would definitely give it another go...

Scott

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  21. STV0726

No, of course not...

But you must realize that displaying of advertisements/graphics indicative of lessor protection can be confusing or alarming for non-tech savvy users. For this reason, as a private computer technician, I have to be careful which free products I recommend to my clients. I don't want them being given a false sense of alarm by an advertisement or red X stating they do not have the maximum protection unless they upgrade something.

22. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I agree entirely so when I have to install something free for someone else and I don't want to hear from them again I install MSE. Not my favorite product by any means but does help avoid the repeat phone calls.

23. STV0726

I have used it for over a year and half now and it has yet to let me down. That being said, I have given them significant feedback on the next version, and the detection rates as well. The bottom line is, at one point, MSE was the only product in an AV-Comparitives test that was free to earn an Advanced+ rating. If they did it once, they should be able to do it again.

This next version coming out soon has really impressive, seamless, automatic malware remediation. I have seen it demonstrated and played with it myself a bit and it looks really promising. Hopefully MSE 3 will put it back in the top.

24. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

All the free AV's except MSE have an advertisement but that is in the gui and i think hardly any1 will click on the ui to see it...and avast doesnt have any nagging advertisement , unthreat has a simple nag for a very brief period but that doesnt cover up the whole screen like avira ... if u r considering less advertisement and putting an av with less detection thats a bad move imo

25. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I was pretty shocked tbh, In the past I found kis considerably added to my boot up times and also the first launch of my browser took forever...But that all seems sorted now and kis 2012 is running really well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.