AV-Test July / August 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FleischmannTV, Sep 30, 2014.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

First you wrote:
    Here is the chart from best to worst =
    http://i.imgur.com/MjWNtF1.png
    -------------------------
    Now you are saying something else =
    So, make up your mind.......
    -------------------------
    Cited=

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You are looking at circles which are all 3.5, but scores aren't the same and that's where avast! pulls a bit ahead. I'm thinking just fine, you're looking at the wrong scores... Look at actual percentage and false positives and not just circles...

3. anon

anon Registered Member

Whatever you say.............

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well if you don't bother to look at actual percentages and not just circles and half circles then i don't care about your opinions either.

5. garrett76

garrett76 Registered Member

If you consider just protection scores, Avast is on pair with AVG, Vipre and Ahnlab (3.5/6.0). But if consider also the other two parameters, Avast is a bit ahead (best performance and usability).
    That said, however you interpret the chart, the results are still mediocre.

6. anon

anon Registered Member

Cited

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  7. Pat MacKnife

Pat MacKnife Registered Member

Qihoo 360 IS version 5.0 has been tested, so must be the chinese version and not like before the international is only at v4.9

8. garrett76

Correct. I wonder why they don't submit the Total Security. Maybe because it would get worse result?

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

So the question has to be what is the differentiating factor that distinguishes their testing system and yours for them to say KIS is 'light'?

10. Sorting according the assumption that "in the wild" poses a bigger risk as "0-day", Avast is the worse of the free AV's, when you value 0-day of more importance AVG is the worse of the free AV's tested.

Untitled.png

11. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I wish they would test 360TS instead of 360IS, since 360TS is the future.

Also, I always wonder how Avira free would score on this compared to paid.

12. tgell

tgell Registered Member

+1

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

could be a lot of factors. just like look at some of the other tests where kis does not come in first place..... not just mine.

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

15. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

Avast! did poorly again.What's the excuse this time Developers? What in the heck is happening with their scores at such places?

COMODO made a huge come back and other free products did great which is a pleasing side.I agree with garett76 comment.Everything these type of tests shows seems to be like a drop in the bucket considering 50,000+ new malware coming everyday.

16. garrett76

Funny, not only they compare their paid product with free products, which is unfair by itself, but they also choose the only two free antivirus that scored lower.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

18. fax

fax Registered Member

Just a marketing campaign not really surprising... not to defend them and to be fair they do say that they took the most widely diffused vendors i.e. AVG and AVAST. That is indeed what I see when I go around and fix infected PC, 90% of the times if they use a free AV is either AVG or AVAST (not Panda or Avira). :)

19. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I thought from your previous posts and sources we were up to 450,000 a day... Today in my work place I plugged in around 30 third party flash drives, and not one single instance of malware... 5 years ago they were all infected... I think MS is doing a good job after all!

20. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I hate it when companies present data in a misleading manner in their marketing efforts. Stupid selection bias is not the way to go. Sure, you might trick those who do not know better but you are insulting the intelligence of those who do.

What they should have done is to highlight areas where they excel without making unfair comparisons. It is a gentler approach and respects the readers. Marketing does not have to be dirty.

You don't win the hearts of many by comparing yourself to only those who are lesser than you. You win by showing that you are good enough if not the best in what you do, regardless of the competition.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@safeguy
    Well said! :thumb:

Sorry...:ninja:

Their response to my comment.

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What's even worse, they compare both to their paid version. ZoneAlarm free version is for sure crap. Missing features and their moronic one update check per 24 hours is a massive dealbreaker, yet such products still score great even though they just shouldn't, because it always has a 24 gap of no updates. Which also shows to me that tests have to be flawed badly for not showing this even though they say they are "zero hour" and "proactive" tests...

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Never saw these results.
    Thanks for the update.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.