AV Suggestions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pellegrini, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellegrini

Pellegrini Registered Member

I tend to download a lot of files, often .exe and sometimes from p2p networks, which I know is extremely unsafe. What I am looking for is a relatively light weight program that I can use to scan individual files for viruses. Any recommendations appreciated.

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

even if you have the best security in the world and use p2p and go to unknown sites your still holding a gun to your head

3. metallicakid15

well there arent many antivirus programs that arelight and have good detection and protection other than nod32

4. metallicakid15

but if your low on $$ then etrust, or even avast(free) which has a p2p protection plugin and other features

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Perhaps BitDefender Free or ClamWin for free ones. Maybe F-Prot for paid. But I'd suggest running a resident AV scanner if you're doing p2p and downloading a lot.

6. Pellegrini

Pellegrini Registered Member

Usualy when I download an executable I'll run it through Jotti's Malware Scan http://virusscan.jotti.org/ to scan the files, but being a dial-up user uploads can be tedious. Basicaly I'm looking for something similar to Jotti's that I could use offline on my system.

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

It's not really a good idea to do without resident protection. However Mcafee stinger is a stand alone utility which would do what you want. It's also handy to keep on a usb thumb for emergencies.
    P.S. I would agree with metallica about etrust.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

There are a number of low footprint AV's that you can use as a primary AV.
    There are other alternatives to NOD. Command AV, Dr Web, F-Prot for Windows, VBA32, will all give you good protection and potentially will not affect your system performance.

Don't rule out Kaspersky, particularly as it has the best overall malware protection. IME, KAV 5 is relatively lightweight and the new KAV 2006 looks very promising in this respect and this new version is due out soon.

Another background scanner may be a good idea with your high-risk surfing. Free possibilities include BitDefender or Dr Web's CureIT.

9. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Don't forget adding anti-trojans to your anti-malware army. Try out ewido and a-squared to also scan your downloaded files and ensure that they are free of trojans and spyware. Also, check out some safer p2p programs such as azureus or uTorrent.

Alphalutra1

10. hbkh

hbkh Registered Member

This is a clean up tool not an antivirus scanner... it is simply detects/cleans 55 specific trojans/worms and their variants. ;)

11. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

if u want to purchase a really good antivirus.

i were u i would wait maybe untill march or begining of april and purchase kaspersky 2006 or Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2006 (KIS2006)

u wont be dissapointed.

by the way Kspersky has the best detection overall to all antiviruses.

and Kaspersky has better detection than nod32.

but ofcourse its ur choice.

i would say trial nod32 and trial Kaspersky. and if u like kaspersky 5.0 get kaspersky 2006.

btw maybe u preffer nod32 than kaspersky 5.0 as nod32 has a newer version but try kaspersky 2006 or KIS 2006 as well

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Kaspersky, F-secure,NOD32.Anything else and your detection rates will suffer.Especially lately, norton.It's great at detecting them after they're in your computer!.

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Original poster stated he was looking for a relatively light weight program. First time I have heard that F-Secure fits this requirement.

14. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

No problems on mine.But then again, detection and removal rates are my top priority.

15. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

eScan (www.mwti.net) have kaspersky database with light resources...
    You can try it for 1 month free... If you like, buy...
    eScan Internet Security or eScan Professional

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.