AV Software Unique to Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TDev, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDev

TDev Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know of an anti-virus software program written after the publication of Windows Vista?

Many fine programs which run under XP have been "rewritten" (as it were) to support the Vista platform, but I'm asking specifically for new anti-virus software.

Possibly one criteria for choosing a new, Vista-oriented program, would be whether or not it would install under XP. If is installs under Vista and not under XP, then this would be a program I'd like to hear about.

If a company sells 2 distinct versions (one for XP and one for Vista), that would be interesting to know as well.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Oh, BTW, I'm not interested at all in the slowness, quickness, effectiveness/ineffectiveness of such software -- just if it was or was not written specifically for Vista.

Regards,
    Jim

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I play with and test antivirus programs almost on a daily basis and as far as I know all av products that will run on Vista will also run on XP.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

You probably will not see any security software that does not run on XP for at least another 2 or 3 years, given that XP's market share is about 7 times that of Vista right now. By that time Windows 7 will be out.

There are actually more complaints from XP users about software that loads resident services to avoid constant UAC prompts in Vista.

4. TDev

TDev Registered Member

Thanks, bigc73542 and Diver, for your input.

I am curious specifically about anti-virus software that has separate installation programs for XP and for Vista, not necessarily a program that will run on both platforms installed from a single installation file (.msi or .exe).

Regards,
    Jim

5. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Symantec AV for enterprises version 10.2 has a separate Vista installer. It probably does not make much difference as if different drivers or registry entries are needed for XP and Vista a single installer can handle it. Many AV's have new versions that have come out since Vista. All three of the popular free ones (Avira, Avast and AVG) did recent version upgrades. Generally, Vista compatibility is not an issue, especially since SP1. OTOH, learning to love Vista is a different thing.

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

VIPRE ;)

7. TDev

TDev Registered Member

Thanks Diver and GES/POR.

Diver, I know that many old XP (and earlier) based anti-virus programs have been rewritten to accommodate Vista.

I'm really looking for ones such as the Symantec product you mentioned and like the program GES/POR named:

(1) old/rewritten/new programs with separate Vista installers or

(2) brand new programs that have been released since Vista was released (whether or not these new anti-virus programs also work with XP or not).

Thanks again.

Regards,
    Jim

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

VBA32 for Vista is another one.

9. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Dan, i had emailed vba's payment service 2 weeks ago about alternative payment methods such as wire transfer n paypal but had not received a response. Could you direct me to resellers with any of such options? TIA

10. TDev

TDev Registered Member

Thanks so much, likuidkewl. I had a license for VBA32 for XP and did not know that the company made a Vista-specific version, too.

Regards,
    Jim

11. JasSolo

JasSolo Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  12. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

VIRUSfighter
    Anyone tried it out?

13. JasSolo

Nope, not really, but I installed it to have a look. If my mind serves me right, it looks a lot like Norman. But let others be the judges of that :) But I know for sure, that the company is serious about their programs. A lot of people uses their free SPAMfighter program.

Cheers

14. JasSolo

XTRA XTRA-READ ALL ABOUT IT! :)...Just had a look at the AV Screenshot Thread...and yes, it looks EXACTLY like Norman AV.

Cheers

15. TDev

TDev Registered Member

Thanks for the information, JasSolo.

Regards,
    Jim

16. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

No problem Jim. The download can be found here:
    http://vba32.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=206

@ GES/POR:
    I sent you a PM with contact information.

-Dan

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Is there a reason you want a vista only version of an av?

18. TDev

TDev Registered Member

Hello huangker,

Actually, my desire is to discover newer, Vista-compatible anti-virus software programs that were published after Vista went public as well as anti-virus programs which have installers specific to Vista (these programs also may have installers for XP, BSD, Linux, etc., too).

So, a Vista-only version of an A-V isn't quite what I'm looking for, but if you know of such a program that has not been mentioned already, I'd appreciate a comment about its availability.

My reasons at this point are academic/professional investigation.

Regards,
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.