AV scanner question here

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by notageek, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Would it be cool to have 2 AV scanners on my systems? I only have 1 running in the background.

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Most of us do have two AV scanners! Make sure that only one is running in the background.

Technodrome

3. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Two virus scanners is not a bad idea (if only one is running in the background of course). The second scanner should have "some strengh" where the first scanner is a little bit "weaker".

Example: KAV is a very good scanner but has a less effective heuristic as KAV uses more "signature" detections. Recomendation for second scanner is one with a better heuristic scanning feature.

wizard

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

notageek - I hope we're all on the same page here.

When you get the second (or third or whatever) AV program, make sure you don't have it running resident (in SYSTRAY, for example), and that you do not have it set to do a boot scan if your primary AV program is already doing one and that you don't have the email-checking component active if your primary is already doing that, etc..

I don't know about anyone else, but all I use anything besides NOD32 for is for verification. (Checking on false positives).

IOW, when properly configured, you shouldn't see anything besides your primary AV program running (in SYSTRAY, or if you do a C/A/D or if you use a process-viewer of some kind to check running processes) at any time.

And when you go to scan ('On Demand' only) with your secondary AV, make sure you shut the 'Primary' one down first. Pete

5. notageek

I have Norton running now and was going to install my Mcafee. Thank everyone for clearing this up.

6. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Mcafee and Norton running together!! Now theres a thought :eek:

7. root

root Registered Member

Notageek, I do not like to tell other people how to make decisions, especially when not asked. I would like to make a suggestion, however about that combination.
    If you read through the threads here and on several other boards, I think you will find a noticible lack of McAfee afficianados. If you are going to use Norton as your primary, it is my opinion and only my opinion, to go for something like Wizard was talking about.
    Norton is averaging decent scores in AV testing, but is not particularly strong in heuristics or trojan detection. Kaspersky, Doctor Web, NOD32, F-Secure, F-Prot, or PC Cillin would all be better protection in my opinion.
    I have had so many BAD experiences with McAfee missing virii, I just hate to say nothing when someone talks about putting any faith in that product. I'm sure someone is going to jump down my throat about that statement and say how well McAfee has worked for them, but my experiences have been very bad .
    So please pardon the unsolicited intrusion here, I mean only to offer what I believe is the best advice based on my experience.
    Over the years, I have changed my opinion several times about what product might best serve my needs. It has always started by listening to lots of people talking about what kind of results they get, and then doing my own investigating.
    The best to you.

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

For what it's worth,I have had a few probs with McAfee.(it came pre-installed on my pc)I do hear a lot of negatives about McAfee in different forums.But ,on the other hand,McAfee has passed virus tests also.I guess it's more a personal preferrence issue.If it works for what you need out of an av program,thats the important thing.

9. notageek

Root no problem at all I wanted all the input here. Feel free to post anything you want. I just had Mafee laying around and thought i would put it on my computer but the sad thing is that it's 4.0 and that's just so out of date. I really don't want to pay the asking price for a new AV when I have norton as my main AV. I thinking of just getting a free one to use for my other backup AV.

10. Technodrome

OK notageek! In that case use Norton and free version of F-Prot(dos)!

Technodrome

11. notageek

Ok thanks I'm gonna look for f-prot(dos). I seen some other AV at webattack freeware. Not sure on them. Maybe somone here knows about them.

12. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Technodrome,
    I have NOD32 on a WinXP pro and tried to also use AVG free but NOD32 crashed my system so I un-installed AVG. I'm sure that I had only NOD32 running. Any idea's for a second scanner? I've had no problems with NOD32 since and really like it. :D

13. Technodrome

Hi Loki

1.Get F-prot (unless you want to purchase Win version)For DOS it's FREE! F-prot will protected you where NOD32 is weak(zoo viruses even with a great deal of Trojans/backdoors).

or

2.If you got some extra money get KAV(best Trojan/Backdoor Scanner).

I suggest you to go with NOD32/F-Prot combination unless you are $$$$ maker!

Technodrome

14. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi Technodrome,
    Thanks I'll try F-prot, and no I'm one of the poor. :) I save to get the best programs I can, but one at a time. :D

15. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Do you think F-prot will work with/complement AVG? I tried AVAST, but it wants to be resident and didn't seem to co-exist well with AVG.

16. Tinribs

Gnostic ,F-Prot (DOS) will compliment any program,AVG is a so-so antivirus,but its also light on resourses and a popular choice for resident protection so use F-Prot Dos as a second opinion on downloads (and maybe a mail attachments folder) and you should be safe (provided both are updated regularly and Safe Hex is practised) :)

17. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Thanks for the input Tinribs. AVG is used by necessity. As I am so saintly, I do update it regularly and practice Safe Hex (even if it doesn't feel natural). I will look into d/l F-Prot.

18. Tinribs

I think AVG for everyday is just fine,dont get me wrong,but F-Prot is great,Dos version especially,I have used it for years and it really is good, put onto floppies its a real life saver sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.