AV recommended with DefenseWall?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mvdu, Nov 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I think almost all systems are affected actually. Even with a very limited startup list, the GUI sooner or later will show problems.

But it isn't as bad as it seems. Defensewall has 2 processes. 1 is the engine, 1 is the gui. The one that crashes, is the GUI, but the engine keeps working. You can close the gui and launch DW again and the GUI will be back without the engine ever stop running. So you remain protected, because it's the skin the crashes, not the main driver.

2. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Thanks also Fuzzfas, clarification appreciated as it seemed to me when DefenseWall crashed it was the actual program due to open untrusted programs ie Firefox and Outlook also shutting down.

GH113 :thumb:

3. Fuzzfas

Well, i can't swear it wasn't the actual program, but next time, a look at your task manager will show you the actual problem. As long the service of DW runs, you are protected.

I 've had my share of crashes/freezes with DW, but the gui was always the culprit. Actually after a freeze-up (the gui wouldn't respond and had to kill it from the task manager and relaunch), after some time i happened to see the task manager, that the newly launched gui was eating 50% of my CPU cycles. At that point i had to reboot to make it drop to normality. That was the worst problem i 've seen so far. But the main driver seemed always solid.

4. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Well so far tonight no problems, go figure!, last thing I did last night was uninstall Internet Download Manager, I have no idea if that has any bearing on it, but I am going to try Free Download Manager now.
    But DefenseWall has worked like a dream so far this session. :)

5. Fuzzfas

From what i 've seen, if you don't click many times at the GUI before closing it and leaving it alone for a while, nothing bad happens. Well, pop ups can freeze sometimes too, always because of the skin. The GUI has never crashed by let just letting it quietly live in the tray. The skin will be replaced anyway in version 2.46, so all of this annoyance should disappear.

My main issue with DW isn't the skin, but the cpu usage. That's why now i 've substituted it with Sandboxie for a while. Then next week i ll probably go back to DW for a change...

6. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

13600 + 2400

Whats your numbers?

7. denniz

denniz Registered Member

It's my understanding that risk factor programs (browsers, email clients, filesharing programs, mediaplayer apps, etc.) must always run untrusted within DefenseWall. But if you add an antivirus and firewall as extra layer of protection, do I run these as trusted or must other security programs also run as untrusted within DefenseWall?

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

All the security software should be trusted.

9. denniz

denniz Registered Member

Thx for the reply. Sometimes I find it somewhat confusing as what to run trusted or untrusted. I know internet programs should run as untrusted, but things like cleaning programs (ccleaner), burning programs (nero, clonecd), registry tools (jv16powertools), online games (mmo's, fps), maintenance programs (raxco perfectdisk) and general software (ultraiso, total commander, notepad+, microsoft word) are less clear to me, do I run those as trusted or untrusted?

10. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Untrusted should any program that contact potentially dangerous Internet connections. All the program's types (browsers, e-mail, IM, IRC, P2P and multimedia clients) that must be set as untrusted, others should be trusted.

11. Fuzzfas

You can't expect to run all your applications as untrusted. Many applications need to do modifications in order to work properly.

The aim of DW is to "untrust" the applications that can act as threat gateways. So, you should run untrusted applications that go online all the time in order to work and things you download , for which you aren't sure if they are "clean" or not. For example, you download a weird executable (say a no cd game patch) which could be a virus too. Instead of running trusted, run it untrusted the first time to see what it does. Same for programs that you want to install, but aren't from a reputable download site. You can try to install them first untrusted, to see if they will try anything strange.

Other than that, most of your applications should run trusted. And programs you want to install , for which you are sure that are "clean" should also be installed as "trusted".

That's pretty much it.

12. denniz

denniz Registered Member

cool thx for the info. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.