AV Recomendation

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

Hi,

I am not AV and Security Expert but like to buy one Good AV to help me at the following activities:

1.- A lot Email Traffic
    2.- We are surfing in " Dangerous and Dark Internet Pages " where are a lot Worms, Trojans and Viruses

How would be the better recomendations to this activity, the Money ( AV Prices ) and Machine Performance is not at Problem all Laptops are Centrino with 512 and 1GB in Ram,

Thank's

2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i would recomend kaspersky antivirus as it has the best detection there is for a antivirus.

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Indeed Kaspersky is the most powerful AV. You can try the New KAV 6 beta till Jan. 1 2006 for free.

If you want to go a little lighter, McAfee and NOD32 are also excellent.

4. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Do you need a light av or don't care?

If you don't care, get Gdata AVK, can't beat the double engines. Whatever one AV misses, the other likely will catch.

If you need ultra-light functionality with still strong protections, I recommend VBA32 or Dr.Web.

Suppliment them all with a good backend system like Safe'n'Sec or Desktop Armor.

5. Ned Slider

Ned Slider Registered Member

Or an alternative solution:

For #2, using a Linux LiveCD offers the best protection. Then when you're done, you can just reboot back into Windows.

Ned

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

kaspersky would be ur best choice.

7. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

We have NOD32 on a gaming machine used by a bunch of teens who don't always practice the best computing habits.:) It has provided great protection.

If you use a POP3 mail client, NOD's IMON with the Advance heuristics and
    the IMON HTTP scanner, also using their Advance heuristics, can help provide
    a layer of good additional protection.

8. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Just browse using Sandboxie, doesn't matter what AV you have, ain't nothing going to get through your browser. ;-)

http://www.sandboxie.com/

In a pinch I use Sandboxie to run suspected Malware, works great for it.. Like a mini virtual machine on the run. :D

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Sounds interesting.
    Does this work like ShadowUser ?. No changes on hard disk.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

NOD or BitDefender.

11. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

KAV, definitely.

12. ErikAlbert

KAV and McAfee = maximum protection.
    Although the Sandboxie sounds more interesting to me.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

1. NOD32

or

2. Kaspersky

14. trojan

trojan Registered Member

kav will give you the best allround protection nod,mcafee or norton must be a second choice if you want the best get kav

15. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Similar, but works on the fly, and is tiny and simple. =)

I've layed a good 1000 trojans/worms through Sandboxie, and none have escaped its "Sandbox".

WONDERFUL freeware, try it!

16. trojan

trojan Registered Member

i have tried surfguard pro supposed to be the first personal sandbox but the results were very poor it creates a "safe space" where you can exe suspisious programes problem is it doesn't support many archive types and it didnt seem to detect any of the trojans i tested it against norman av uses some sort of sand box but that doesn't seem to be doing them any good its a good idea but i havent found anything thats anygood i liked the exe protection on tds3 their was only a few trojans that i found that killed tds3 and stil executed

17. ErikAlbert

Thanks SDS and I'm gonna try it. I downloaded it already and stored it on CD with the url.
    I will install it tomorrow. I like that kind of software.

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i just tried sandboxie. used it on IE, installed a few malicious spyware/activex and later emptied the sandbox. however it occured strange to me that even with the installion of teh malware there was no immediate effect/sign of it. no toolbar. maybe i had to restart IE. neways great software.

19. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Sandboxie doesn't work this way at all.. It's job is not to detect anything. ;-)

The most important thing is that ANYTHING executed within Sandboxie, is protected in that realm, and anything that is triggered or launched by anything within that sandbox, is also confined to that realm. In otherwords, if you have IE running in sandboxie, then IE launches Winzip to unarchive a virus, Winzip is now ALSO confined to the same sandbox.

Pretty amazing freeware, go ahead and try it, run IE under it, and install 200 different toolbars or BHO's, and then exit out and run IE outside the sandbox. Nothing will be there.

20. trojan

trojan Registered Member

yes i have tried sandboxie i like it very good seems to work mainly on exe files as some programes it cant open in the sandbox. so far i like it and the best part is its free i tried a few trojans binded to installer files and sandboxie couldnt open them it worked well for most single exe files and for browsing it works really well keeps all the adware and nasty cookies away does anyone know why it cant run some installer files just gives an error?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  21. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Try emailing the author, he is very nice and good at solving troubles.. Most troubles with it tend to be related to user permissions for Sandboxie. Once we worked those out, I can open anything in it.

22. trojan

trojan Registered Member

the problem with some programes and installers seems to be comman i looked on thier forum http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/ this was the reason given

for instance to install drivers or system services or whatever -- then this is simply not allowed within a sandbox, and the install will fail.

The idea here is to not have viruses use admin privileges to install low-level system code that would bypass the Sandboxie protection layer.

23. Sam400

Sam400 Guest

I just installed Sanboxie and got a about 5 dll error messages any ideas of what to do i tried to run Firefox in it and all these dll errors cames up

Erro: Could not hook RegOpenKeyExA(reason:1)(at 77DD61B+0:FF
    System error 2

The system cannot find the file specified

The rest are The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

24. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Email the author, this sounds like a permissions problem.. I had something similar, and had to mirror my sandboxie cache directories to both admin, and other users for it to work.

25. Siro

Siro Registered Member

Kaspersky is the best option although Bitdefender and nod32 dont lag behind i believe currently....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.