AV question about very old systems(running ME)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stephenjg_2001, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephenjg_2001

stephenjg_2001 Registered Member

Are there any AV programs that can still run on Windows Millennium and also get rid of AVG, Ive tried every removal tool i know of.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I believe Avast 4.8 will run on ME. Not sure I understand the other part of your question.

3. stephenjg_2001

stephenjg_2001 Registered Member

the computer has AVG like 3.0 but i cant get it out of the computer and the removal tools from Norton etc are not ME compatible.

4. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

About all I could think of would be some prior release of an uninstall tool, if there is a release history somewhere. Would the portable version of revo uninstaller work?

6. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

I don't know if there are any other antiviruses that will work on Windows ME systems. Windows ME is pretty old now (11 years) and hasn't been supported in 5 years. Plus it doesn't use Windows NT and has a really low market share, so there are no reasons for developers to support it. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 2.7 would work, but ESET doesn't sell it anymore and it's being discontinued February 2012 anyways.

7. skp14

skp14 Registered Member

This may really help with the AVG removal, just found out about it today in a Tech blog.

AppRemover - 5.92 mb
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/AppRemover_d6090.html

When checking out AV's, see if they work with Win98 (basically same as ME) and if it doesn't say, contact the companies.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/performance-tests
    This test is of which AV's were the lightest on system resources. Latest test was Dec 2010.

Summary results are on page 15. Free AV's that were lightest were Avast, MS Security Essentials, AVG, Avira. I wouldn't use AVG (check reviews on CNET) and MSE has come out with version 2 so its probably better now.

8. m0unds

m0unds Guest

no modern av that i know of (and...not many modern threats) will actually execute/run in a 98 or Me environment. that being said, if you can find it, avast 4.8 did have a 95/98/Me compatible version at some point.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The current version of Twister AV is a contemporary AV that runs on ALL 32bit flavors of Windows (including ME). Twister's AV signatures update frequently. Very stable. Light footprint. Plays nicely with other software.

In addition to its AV component , Twister includes very competent modules for behavior blocker & registry protection -- turn them on or off at user's discretion.

90-day free trial at HERE.

10. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Vba32 Personal says it will run on Windows 98 and up.

@Bell: Do you use Twister? I didn't realize they offered a lifetime license. How's the detection rates?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I own several antivirus licenses and run various AVs from time to time (including Twister), but Prevx is my "main man".

Twister's Chinese language forum indicates they will do a major engine upgrade in the near future. As of now, Twister is a mid-tier AV for dealing with known malware. Also, Twister scores quite well (lower-quartile--top-tier) on zero-day, due to its excellent behavior blocker component.

The only recent test of TAV that I know of is dated July 2010. A pdf copy of its report can be downloaded HERE.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.