AV processor usage

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by maxoblivion, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxoblivion

maxoblivion Registered Member

I recently tried Kaspersky AV and NOD32 AV. With Kaspersky, processor usage as indicated in Windows Task Manager was constantly at or above 50% while NOD32 usage was usually at 0%. Why such a difference and what is the norm for AV software processor usage?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

There is no norm

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

AVs will use CPU when theyre scanning a file. The type of file and teh AV engine can affect how long it takes to be scanned.

4. maxoblivion

There would be a median or average usage rate. That is what I mean by norm.

5. maxoblivion

Kaspersky was always showing high cpu usage.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

the norm would be between 0-5% (max) cpu usage while idle/surfing

7. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Idle shouldn't be using much CPU. Something must be going on in the background to cause CPU usage, especially something as high as 50%.

Updating/scanning/even just a program error...50% idling is not normal at all.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

he needs to check if it was infact the kaspersky process that was using the 50%.

if so, its probably still doing the startup scan, or ... doing some other scanning of its own in the background. (even so, it still shouldnt be 50%, unless its a scheduled scan?)

more info needed. o_O

9. maxoblivion

I don't know what would be exceptional about my system that would cause such high CPU usage. KAV seemed to slow my system down to a crawl at times and seemed to screw up the last Firefox update. It seemed to have a lot of nice features but I had to cut the trial short and uninstall. Maybe I could have adjusted the KAV settings to be more compatible with my 'puter but there were no obvious (to me anyway) adjustments to make. NOD32 runs smooth as silk and just detected a potential IMON threat so it's active, even at 0%.

10. maxoblivion

No scheduled scans and the startup scans were finished. If other Kaspersky users don't experience such high CPU usage, I guess it was some kind of fluke. Whatever it was I guess it just wasn't the right software for me.

11. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Default NOD32 settings, or some such as Blackspear's?

Certain that KAV was not doing initial update or startup scan? I really liked KIS, but it slowed my boot time to unmanagable, even with all attempted fixes (such as disabling start update/scan).

Edit:

was posted while I was making my reply. Apologies!

12. maxoblivion

I'm using NOD32 default settings. I just reinstalled and haven't had time to monkey with the settings.

13. AshG

AshG Registered Member

I don't know why a major review site (HardOCP, PCPer, Anandtech) hasn't caught on and done something along the lines of a performance-oriented AV review before. They have the people, the hardware, and the experience to do it well.

Items needed:
    Basic Test System
    Image of new or AV-free system installation
    Serials#s of many AVs

Procedure:
    Install AV #x
    Run a series of benchmarks, including gaming, business apps, startup, shutdown, etc.
    Repeat benchmarks at different (comparable) heuristic levels
    Record data, erase drive, reapply image
    Lather, rinse, repeat

Draw up a few graphs, post to website, get Dugg, /.ed, and otherwise blitzed by WS, CC, and DSLR.

I'd do it at my site if I weren't in the middle of a nasty set of graduate theses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.