AV is much better w/ AS on its side..

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RazorBurn, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazorBurn

RazorBurn Registered Member

I would have to say that i cant really rely solely on AV anymore.. It Needs Anti-Spyware Apps on its side to complement a full System Recovery..

Anti-spyware has a different approach on checking ur system for malware than Anti-virus does..

For Example..

I deleberately install a spyware/malware on my system.. It created a directory, files, Start-up links, and registry entries..

In an Antivirus; it only detects the common files itself but not the files the spyware/malware leave behind.. After my whole system scan for my whole system, it still has those files, even the directory is still intact.. And im sure all the registry entries the malware added to the Registry are still fully intact.. The malware maybe erradicated and stopped but the malware also leaves me useless junk..

But after my Anti-spyware system scan.. My whole system is back from normal.. It removes all files leave behind by the malware. I think its really much better to make these two utilities always on your computer..

Sorry but i can really rely also on Anti-spyware bundled with some Security Suites..

Nearly All Anti-spyware bundled with security suites have poor results on some Malware Test..

Right now im using KIS 6.0. Its PDM is pretty good.. And it has one of the best detection rates of AV's. Although it already has an Anti-spyware, I coupled with my Weebroot Spysweeper 5.0 and it works great securing every move i make. Im pretty sure my computer is pretty safe..

Try

NOD32 + Spyware Doctor

or

Antivir + Spysweeper..

This all has good results for me.. Maybe u can sugest some AV/AS team for your computer..

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Once a month I check with Ewido, works for me. I don't see the need to have an anti-spyware application running in the background.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nor do i brian,

the spyware components in AV's are good enough now, and most give better detection and performance than some leading anti-spyware products.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i dont see spyware a big threat no more.
    i run kis6.0 solo and i fill protected.
    i have spysweeper 5.3 like the other 5x versions it still has bugs.
    i also have a license for superantispyware and could run it as realtime but there is no point im a safe surfer and dont get infected.
    btw are you saying you still running spysweeper 5.0 and havent yet upgraded to 5.3?
    i agree that antispyware apps do a better job at getting rid of spyware but since i dont get spyware on my system i dont need it runnning realtime and a weekly scan is enough. i could even just do a monthly scan
    lodore

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

why not a yearly scan, if the spyware app finds anything more than tracking cookies, i would be surprised and dissappointed with kaspersky.

the antispyware in AV's in the latest versions are easily as good, if not better than spyware apps like spysweeper (machine hogger)

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't think AS is necessary, depending upon how one defines AS. However, some AVs can profit from an anti-malware application along with it. I think that the last AVC tests bear that out, as IBK said that AVG would not have made such a good showing without the "Ewido" component.

However, such applications have never caught malware on my computer. The AV always catches it first in the very few attempts at infection I have encountered. Accordingly, I do not think the top few AVs profit enough to spend money on the AM applications.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

download kazaa, always a good way to test your anti-adware/spware component in your antivirus.

if nothing at all pops up, you kinda have a problem.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I believe that Ewido is more anti-trojan/anti-malware than anti-spyware ;) Note that AVC does not use typical spyware in their tests

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats a very good point:D
    it does only find tracking cookies
    maybe im to safe for kaspersky?=D
    lodore

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi,
    Yes, that is true, but it seems that the lines are now blurred, and some former ATs are being referred to as AS. I have found that a-squared does find traces, and some such minor stuff.
    I use a dial-up program when I travel, and a-squared always identifies it as spyware. Evidently the method that it uses to find the correct area and telephone numbers acts like spyware. No other application I use warns of that particular "spyware."

I am not really sure which applications limit themselves to spyware. I think essentially all have expanded into the anti-malware category. I would not bet, however. I do not use a dedicated AS including AdAware or Spybot.

Regards,
    Jerry

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi!

Nowadays it is getting really difficult to establish a strong difference between spyware and trojan . They are all non-viral and act very similarly .

Spyware is more or less adware type programs , toolbars , other PUPs .

But none has 100% limit . For example Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware SE do concentrate on spyware/adware/other non-viral but also detect some trojans which they find pretty nasty . Nothing limits them ... :)

12. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Personally, i agree with you. I only disagree if a person downloads a lot, etc.
    Then i would consider an AS. SAS, AVG AS or A-Squared. Spybot too:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.