AV for my new Acer?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by legendary, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legendary

legendary Registered Member

Ok i just got an Acer with 2 gb of memory and a AMD Turion but this darn acer has 69 processes going!o_O o_O

So i only have a choice out of these 2 AV either TrendMicro IS 07 or Mcafee Total protection which one should not bog me down resource wise more then Vista has already?
    I know they are both good but i need the less bloated one.
    Thanks in advance.

Also i dont want this to be read as X VS X is ?. I really just dont want to get bogged down and i know this is the Best place for answers.!
    G.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  2. rhuds13

rhuds13 Registered Member

You could just read the many posts on each of the two to make a more informed choice.

3. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

69 processes. What do those folks at Acer got on your machine. Why so many processes ? :blink:

4. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi.

Too many processes, I agree.
    Between these two I would propose You to try both and see which fits better to Your machine. I think You will not make a mistake if You choose any of these two.

5. hekegeous

hekegeous Registered Member

Likely because laptop manufacturers like to pre-pack the machines with all kinds of "essential" software ranging from semi-useful utilities to a myriad of preinstalled trials of useless resource hogs that have little real value to most users but make money for the manufacturers, thus helping offset the costs of staying competitive in a saturated marked by offering lower prices. [/RANT]

6. legendary

Ok HELP!~!! what processes should i remove!!!!

7. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Hi.

You should uninstal software that is not a must have for Your condition (situation). This will remove unnessesary processes. Also find some optimizing Vista guide as this also can help I think.

8. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

O.K. thanks, thought they might be getting away from that, I still think I will get my new machine built when that time comes to avoid all that. :(

Even if I have to pay a little more.

9. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

BOTH ARE HOAGERS... 'legendary'. But both are in the league of Norton/Kasper. On the otherhand, TrendM & McAfee are vaunted on pest-controls.

But there are others out there that do gave those pest-control veterans a 'run-4-the-money'. And much much more speedy to get the job done!

In the league of TrendM, McAfee, Kasper & Norton....try Command-AV (by Authentium, if paying for is not much of your concern). You be surprised with its speed & accuracy!

Command-AV is a real 'speedy Gonzales'.... i termed it as being "blue-printed Cosworth-tuned".

10. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Look in control Panel->add/remove programs, and unistall any program you don't need. If in doubt of what program is/does, google is your friend.

Also you could search for the name of each running process on google or directly at processlibrary.com, so you can see what is happening on your machine. Uninstall any unwanted crap, this will free a lot of resources...

As for the AV recommendation, I would suggest NOD32 (paid)...its very light on resources, and is considered among the best.
    For free AV, try avast! home edition.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

This is a little off topic but I have always done a fresh install on every computer I purchased, if your Acer didn't come with a driver disc download them manually from the Acer support website and wipe it. That is if your pc also came with a OEM install cd, if not you can purchase a OEM cd from may places on the web for around $10 although the legality of such a thing is questionable, according to MS. The best way is to pester Acer for a copy sometimes you have to pay shipping other times not.

Then you are able to not worry if the support for XYZ printers is going to be eating up 3/4 of your ram and can install anything you want to. Although i seriously doubt it will have that much of an impact no matter what you install.

12. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

'Legend'... i would presume that your Acer were "OS-Preloaded & Razmatazz-garnished", hence it's running with 69 procs. Coz if not, based on AMD-Turion... your Acer should run like a Corvette.... even vis-a-vis Intel Core-Duo!

13. rhuds13

Also you could try at pcdecrapifier.com.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

go for trend micro, use the serial for the latest 2008 version and you will see a more responsive computer.

15. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Yes, I have an acer computer too and i have found out that trend micro is a hog and mcafee total protection is a whizzo.
    I think viruscan will be enough the only think it dont have is parent control, cookie control and back up which you can get from comodo for free. virusscan is free from this website look at the bottom. you do NOT have to be a customer of Natwest just register with mcafee. 1 YEAR LICENSE.
    -http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/latest_deals/index.asp?referrer=online:thumb:

My com is a pentium D 2.67 ghz 1gb of mem.

16. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Wow what happendo_O

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

with what?

the serial for 2007 version should work if he downloaded the latest 2008 version.

18. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A handful of off-topic posts removed. Note: the title of a thread is usually a good indicator of the on-topic material. If you want to initiate a technical discussion behind particular product selections, be my guest and start a new thread. If you wish to engage in idle banter, please take it to PM.

Thanks in advance.

Blue

19. legendary

In the 08 version that much better?

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes, it should be for performance. ;)

give it a trial, and share your findings :)

21. the insider

the insider Registered Member

I also bought on monday a new acer 7720 and ... I have also 69 processes running ....:blink:
    Maybe the free version of winpatrol gives us the solution o_O??
    How much RAM needs vista home Premium ?
    BTW : which AV is the best for me (layman) AVG free or the Avast! free version?

22. Jomsviking

Jomsviking Registered Member

- Study the applications installed and see if some of them can be safely removed (according to your needs). 69 processes is lot.

- Vista eats RAM like Popeye eats spinach. 1 GB is minimum advised, 2 GB would be preferable.

- AVG and Avast are both decent AV's for a regular user. Avast does offer more features. There is no best AV. Just try them and see which one you and your computer like best.

23. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

please look at my post above.

24. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I found 1.5 gig mem runs vista fine & Avast is a good choice...

25. rhuds13

Also what AV software did your system come with? Many will come with 90day trial of Norton. Be sure to check and remove that before installing any new. And use ccleaner after removing to help clean up system. As to which AV you will do best to try diff ones to see how they run on your setup. But never install more than one at a time. We all will have our own favorites that fit our needs. For me most often just use Avast Home free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.