AV for a new computer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stephan123, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephan123

Stephan123 Registered Member

I get a new computer wednesday/thursday and i want to know what the perfect,best av for it.It is a Intel 1,7 ghz with 512 mb ddram.

2. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

F-secure Client Security or Kaspersky 5.0 or Norman Virus Control.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The perfect, best AV is one that gives good protection AND runs well on YOUR System. This will involve looking through various threads here, trialing the software then deciding which one seems to run the best on your new computer.

However, overall if you can afford it I would recommend commercial AV's over free ones, particularly for support ( But Avast Home is an exception here ).

We all have our favourites but have a look here for some possible recommendations;

http://www.wilders.org/anti_viruses.htm

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/beforeyoubuy/tp/aatpavwin.htm

http://www.firewallguide.com/anti-virus.htm

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=35600

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

5. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Asking which is the "perfect best" is kind of like asking a bunch of guys whose girlfriend is prettiest.

I agree with other posters - read threads and comparitives. Besides detections, are there any other considerations you want to base your decision on? Price? Ease-of-use? Support? Package deals (like AV & firewall)? Are resources not a concern? What will your computing habits & environment be like (any finnicky apps, unsafe practices, other security issues, etc)?

Of the major AV's that have supporters here, it's hard to deny that they all have good qualities. So have confidence in whichever you choose.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2004
  6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

I just got a new computer myself and I'm going with KAV 5. McAfee 8 is my second choice.

We now have eXtendia AV at Walmart here in Canada for $10... a great deal considering it uses the KAV and RAV engines and includes 1 year of updates.

7. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Isn't the one sold at stores for around $10 only the single engine version?

8. Stephan123

I have making my choice.It is going be Avast Home edition.Free and easy and good ;)

9. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Okey ... o_O o_O o_O

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

how is that you go yourself to protect of script virus?

11. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Of course, avast! Home Edition does detect script viruses... :)

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

One is Script Blocking (scripts encountered on webpages/links, Script Blocking is only available in Pro) and another are script viruses (script files like Melissa or LoveLetter,usually *.VBS,*.WSH etc..) as vlk mentioned.

13. Stephan123

i have mozilla as my webbrowser.Thunderbird as my emailclient and Openoffice as a officepacket

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The NOD32 doesn't have this protection, is not?

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

No it doesnt. It CAN detect script viruses as all AV programs,but it doesn't have a specialized module that checks scripts like avast!'s Script Blocker does.

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The KAV already have this, and I think that NOD32 will have it with the new version of IMON...

17. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Panda has it and if you notice you will see NOD32 scored well in Clementi's test with script viruses. no matter what the source those scripts are run as normal executable files so the RTM will detect it with heuristics or by signature.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have probably used about every av out there at one time or another. But The one that I have decided to use out of all of them is command av by authentium. It has excellent detection and huerestics frequent updates and it uses very little resources. And it is very inexpensive. You can download here and there is a trial version. You can get the trial on this page

19. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Isn't command a tweaked out engine from FRISK?

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It does use the F-prot (professional) scan engine with commands hueristics and trojan detection. It scans really fast just like f-prot.

21. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I agree with bigc's comments on Command AV and in the UK over the last few years we have been fortunate in that CSAV has been given away free with 12 months of updates with various computer magazines.

However, here it is expensive when compared to other AV programs. With the dreaded Value Added Tax, we have to pay $51, rather than the USA price of $25!!!!

Hopefully, if I cannot find another free offer by August I hope to purchase CSAV at the US site.

22. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Im now going to McAfee 8.0 for good. My drive became extremely fragmented using KAV 5 and files filled with ad streams... when the bugs are ironed out it will be great.

23. GermanKid

GermanKid Guest

try Mks_vir 2004! super fast with artificial intelligence detection of threats it has no definition for i switch to it after reading here

heurssitcs like ive never seen before

24. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Yes and I am still waiting for a reply to my emails after a week or more. personally this reminds me of another anti virus company that wont respond unless you give them money and then only till the check has cleared . I would be cautious as a polish company may not be in a position to offer any one support of the nature that a company like Kav or nod or avast or CA can . at least it is prudent ( as some have recenty discovered due to listening to a certain person ) to wait before jumping in . the Mks trial will not update either.

25. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Solarpowered Candle from Firefighter!

Strange that web world. I've got a reply from Kamil Konieczny (support in MKS VIR) within less than 20 hours.

The second issue was then eXtendia. In most cases informing your detecting problems and false positives straight to the Kaspersky Lab support, may resolve your problems 99 %. The same advice for them who are using F-secure, but there you can inform straight to the F-Prot support too. What's so difficult?

The main reason to me when I bought eXtendia, was the price. There are several other KAV clones that are using KAV engines, the price is the main reason to buy them too. Only F-secure is the only exception, that is even more expensive than Kaspersky. Why so many KAV clones, because of the GUI maybe?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.