AV Failes to initialize ... always...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by That Rich, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That Rich

That Rich Registered Member

For two weeks ESET will instantly fail to initialize on startup and nothing I do will get it to work. Downloaded the latest version, uninstall / reinstall many times, tried running in safe mode from command line and it still will not initialize. Clearly I must have a virus but have no idea what to do about it. The SysRecovery is not an option as I do not have a DVD drive. I have an image backup of my c: drive and have recovered that and still same problem. I am at wits end. My system appears to be running normally other than the ESET issues although occasionally a random program becomes corrupted and I need to reboot. ESET has never reported a virus, malware or anything else prior to this issue.
    I also downloaded the ERACleaner.exe, when I run it, the scanner immediately tells me "done, nothing found" when clearly it hasn't scanned anything.

Please help!!!

Best Regards,

Rich

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

3. That Rich

Hi Marcos.

Indeed I have tried the on-line scanner. Twice after the download the files were corrupted... third time I was able to run the scanner but immediatly after the scan started it reported initialization error.

Currently I am in the same situation as NOD 32 is reporting anti-virus is disabled yet there is a checkmark before antivirus / anti spyware at the protection status page.

Last night when going back to the computer NOD32 was working normally without a reboot or anything (this has happened in the past) so I started a scan of C: prior to going to bed, six hours later I awoke to the scan hanging about one-third of the way complete. This has also happened before. Like I said previously... my entire c: partition was deleted/formatted/reloaded and after an hour or so the same issues occur. The only thing I can come up with is there is a worm hiding somewhere on one of my 6 partitions on this machine that I can't do a darn thing about. Seems I need to scan prior to windows starting but I don't have a DVD burner available to realize SysRescue. Is a rescue disc available from ESET? If I was to procure a retail disc copy of NOD32 (I know a person that purchased one) is the boot scan on the manufaturers disc?

Thanks for any help.

Rich

4. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

5. That Rich

Hello again,

Uninstalled NOD32 / reboot / deleted all ESET folders / reboot / run reg clean to remove left over ESET stuff / reboot / run clean boot / reboot /restart into safe mode / run ESET uninstall utility / reboot / set msconfig to normal boot / reboot / download latest NOD32 from ESET /....

Try installing and each time it gives me message..." ESET wizard ended prematurely because of an error. No changes were made to your system"

Egad... she not so good senor.

Thanks again for any ideas.

Rich

6. siljaline

Did you try the uninstaller in a clean boot state, Rich ? From your reply post it would not seem that you did that.

Note that the unistaller does not require any user intervention other than answering the command prompts while running it. Meaning you don't have to manually delete any system files or Program Files Folders.

Try rolling back your system using a clean Restore Point and try again.

Good luck - waiting for your results.

7. That Rich

Ran the uninstaller from clean boot slate.
    After another reboot I was able to install ESET... same problems.... antivirus is disabled.
    Guess I will run and pick up the retail cd from a friend and hope it is bootable then try to boot from the ESET disc. Is this reasonable?

Rich

8. That Rich

Here is the log file from the uninstaller that was ran from clean boot...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BEGIN >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    [02/27/10 17:09:00] C:\Documents and Settings\richard\Desktop\ESETUninstaller.exe 4.0.14.0
    [02/27/10 17:09:00] Input arguments:
    [02/27/10 17:09:07] Online (PC booted from fixed disk) mode detected.

[02/27/10 17:09:07] WARNING! This tool uninstalls AV product in non-standard way. Your PC can be harmed seriously, please back up Your data.
    Please keep in mind that as soon as this application is finished your network connection can be down and you will have to restart your PC.
    Are you really sure to continue? (y/n): y

[02/27/10 17:09:10] Scanning available operating systems ...

[02/27/10 17:09:10] Available operating systems, which AV product can be removed from:

[02/27/10 17:09:10] [1]
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Product Name: Microsoft Windows XP
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Version: 5.1.2.2600.WinNT.x86
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Volume: C:\
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] System Root: C:\WINDOWS
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Program Files: C:\Program Files
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Common application data folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Common programs folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Device path folder: C:\WINDOWS\inf
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Drives mapping:
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Letter: C Native Letter: C
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Letter: D Native Letter: D
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Letter: E Native Letter: E
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Letter: F Native Letter: F
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Letter: G Native Letter: G
    [02/27/10 17:09:10] Current Letter: H Native Letter: H

[02/27/10 17:09:10] Scanning installed AV products ...

[02/27/10 17:09:13] Installed AV products:
    [02/27/10 17:09:13] 1. ESS/EAV/EMSX

[02/27/10 17:09:13] Enter sequence number of AV product to uninstall and press ENTER (hint: to abort press 'q'): 1

[02/27/10 17:09:19] Are you sure to uninstall ESS/EAV/EMSX from this OS? (y/n): y

[02/27/10 17:09:22] Product uninstallation: ESS/EAV/EMSX

[02/27/10 17:09:22] Uninstallation in progress, please wait ...

[02/27/10 17:09:22] Current control set ... ControlSet001

[02/27/10 17:09:22] Eset services and devices ...
    [02/27/10 17:09:22] Services: deleted device: LEGACY_EAMON
    [02/27/10 17:09:22] Services: deleted device: LEGACY_EHDRV
    [02/27/10 17:09:22] Services: deleted device: LEGACY_EPFWTDIR
    [02/27/10 17:09:22] Services: deleted device: LEGACY_EASDRV

[02/27/10 17:09:22] WSC: ESS/EAV unregistered of WSC

[02/27/10 17:09:22] ESET Product: deleted: ESET\Setup

[02/27/10 17:09:24] Email plugins: deleted value in: Mozilla\Thunderbird\Extensions ...
    [02/27/10 17:09:24] deleted: eplgTb@eset.com

[02/27/10 17:09:24] Uninstallation ESS/EAV/EMSX finished successfully.

[02/27/10 17:09:24] Log file location: "C:\Documents and Settings\richard\Desktop\~ESETUninstaller.log"

[02/27/10 17:09:24] Uninstallation finished successfully, please restart your PC now.

[02/27/10 17:09:25] Press any key to exit ...
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> END >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

9. siljaline

OK, at this point you need to re-enable all the items to get your PC back to a normal boot state as per the artciles I perviously posted, this may be why NOD32 is not loading correctly at this point and/or after a manual uninstall and complete reinstall it may require two or three reboots to stablise and install correctly.

I don't see this accomplishing anything that you need to do now to get your machine back to where it was a far as your Boot and MSCONFIG options should be. Without these set to normal, NOD32 will not install correctly.

10. That Rich

Did all that before reinstalling ESET.
    Followed all the instruction perfectly.

11. siljaline

OK, thanks for that, where are you at now ? Rich. ESET won't install is that correct ?
    I cannot tell from your uninstall log if it was successful or not, best guess is that it was since the uninstaller was able to generate a log. Presumably it was done correctly, this is a last change ditch effort tool to get NOD32 to get freshly reinstalled.

We may have to ask for someone from ESET to help. Many ESET Mods monitor this Board 24 by 7.

I see you are running an XP Box like I am, I will post a screenshot of what Services NOD32 needs to be running to boot correctly.

Attached Files:

12. That Rich

My ESET service properties are identical to yours.
    After a reboot I was able to reinstall ESET (in previous post) but still get the antivirus is disabled message
    What is also odd is the database will update but in the protection status it does not show the database info. In the update window it shows the latest updates are installed.
    Thanks for all your help.

Rich

Attached Files:

13. siljaline

We are making some progress -
    Use these troubleshooting tips as to why your AV is flagging maximum protection is not ensured.

Click on the Cog Wheel per screenshot and ensure all are fully enabled.

Attached Files:

14. That Rich

Exactly the same as yours.

Now I just looked at the update screen (which has been one of the only things working) and it looks like this.....

Attached Files:

15. siljaline

Try the following troubleshooting steps, here, here, here

If there are no positive results after you have investigated the above, submit an issue ticket to ESET.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  16. That Rich

Thanks but I've tried all that.
    Something is totally messed up here and I'm thinking it's a worm or some such virus. If my suspicions are correct I wonder why ESET didn't catch the intrusion. I never had any warning from NOD32. Purely speculation on my part about the worm. I have done seemingly everything possible to reinstall this software to working condition.. nothing seems to repair the damage done here. What is odd is that everything else on this machine seems to be working normally except the AV. Have been using ESET over three years without any issues until now.

BTW: a pop up window reported just a bit ago that ESET had a "general compiler error"... just doesn't end.

Thanks again for all the help and enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Rich

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Find out if you have a problem. See this post. --> https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1533481&postcount=3

Along the way, give us your operating system info, other security software you are using or may have used in the past, and any other information that will help others to help you.

18. siljaline

Sorry to hear that we did not come to a postive resolution to your issue.

You may options to do if you are currently infected

You may submit an issue ticke to ESET as already mentioned.

You may call MS PC Safety @ 1-866-727-2338 as your issue may be the result of recent patches you have applied on your system.

Good luck, Rich ! The thread remains open pending your feedback.

19. That Rich

XP pro
    The only security software I use other than the AV is Zone Alarm Pro.
    Guess I need to run some of these malware / worm - seek and destroy apps. I am only guessing that a virus or worm is causing my problems because every other option has been pretty much exhausted. Did every thing I can think of to get ESET operable including the recommendations from this thread, not the least of which is reinstalling my entire c: drive from an image created long before the problems started.
    Even went so far as to remove ESET and install Norton AV (free with my comcast subscription). Ran NAV and it reported no problems on my c: partition. Go figure.
    I really would like to run a comprehensive virus scan BEFORE the OS starts but ESET is not an option because I do not have a DVD burner available. Borrowed the ESET retail disc from a pal but it is not bootable and does not have any options or tools to scan.

Oh well... gotta love technology. Wonder if ESET will give me a refund :(

Best,

Rich

20. That Rich

Here we go again...
    Just updated the AV database and ESET is working normally. Go figure.
    I am no very optimistic about this lasting to long as I have been here before.

I remain,

frustrated,

Rich

21. That Rich

Well I'd like to thank everyone that helped out with my ESET issues.
    Currently all is working fine. I cleared the cache per the instructions posted here and also updated my routers firmware. After two weeks of trying *everything* I'm not sure what finally worked but I'm happy. Probably was clearing the cache that did it even though ESET was still squirrly for a bit but after a few boots everything seemed to work out.

Thanks again.

Rich

22. siljaline

Glad to have been part of the effort in helping you resolve your issues and glad to hear that NOD32 is now running trouble-free.

Best regards !

23. That Rich

Well as to be the rule with *many* computer issues... I spoke to soon. Still having the same problems but at least they are sporadic now. Seems when the initialization of the av fails, I am having a 80% success rate to get the AV to re-initialize when I run update. AV will then run up to 24 hrs. before another failure.
    Are there any known issues with ESET and java? Just a hunch.

Best,

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.