AV-Comparatives: Whole Product Dynamic Test (2010)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Pleonasm, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

BitDefender result is surprising.
    Kingsoft not so much. ;)

Notice all these are the full blown (as in money paid) suites. Something to remind to the spongers when they post up how great their free app is.

AVG Internet Security v9 includes behavior blocker, Identity Protection, which is not included in Anti-Virus or Free (but can be enabled for additional funds).

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

F-Secure sits quietly near the top as usual, yet somehow, it doesn't seem to have the following of other the other programs; even ones near the middle of the pack. o_O

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

If you have never used it, You simply wont understand. It's hard to get infected on a computer that cant do anything as is. :cautious:

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I use it every day where I work on 450+ machines but have had only 7 complaints about performance. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Fortunately there are plenty other good options to choose from. :thumb:

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Flip to something lighter, The Boss would think you bought the whole place new computers. :D

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

other than the unusually high amount of processess it uses, F-Secure was never really heavy on my system wen i used it, but i really didnt like the fact that it had so many processes

7. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Exactly, I knew it will score very good...:D

8. shanep

shanep AV Expert

IBK,

This is correct.

Best,

Shane
    SONAR Team, Symantec

9. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Trend Micro must be extremely pleased with their results...after the disappointing results earlier this year. It will be interesting to see how their Titanium products fare...in future testing. Correct me...but I believe A/V Comparatives testing doesn't factor in Zero Day Threats...only their selected Malware Samples...so this might pose some difficulty for both parties. Sincerely...Securon

10. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Additionally to what have been written - I have asked a question in the Norton forum and Symantec employee asnwer me that:

When the Download Insight pop-up window appears with the questions , the malicious process is started but suspended and only if the user select Allow/Start SONAR will take action.

From what I have seen , it seems correct.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  11. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Just a sum-up if someone don't want to read the whole report . Based on 307 testcases and the results on page 7

Worst with 95% or less : Avast , BitDefender , Kingsoft , Norman
    Best (highest results): AVIRA , AVG , F-Secure , Panda , Symantec/Norton , Trend Micro

12. progress

progress Guest

Well done AVG & Panda :thumb: :thumb:

:'(

13. smage

smage Registered Member

Yes very good test.

I wonder why MSE was not included, is it because it does not have an internet security suite?

As for Comodo, it seems that we'll have to wait till next year's round.lol

Concerning Symantec, I'm curious to know how it did not catch all malware. Should the Download Insight Window not pop up for all unknown files?

Panda seems to have made a successful entry in AV-C this time, scoring well in most tests.

Finally Avast is paying the price for including a behaviour blocker that does not work.

Regards

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think you are quite right about MSE not been tested because it is a simple AV. One could argue though that MSE + Windows firewall is a security suite, pity, I was really curious about it. Furthermore I wonder now, do security suites protect more than their respective AVs in a non layered defense?

15. smage

smage Registered Member

Yes and given that firewall alerts were not taken into account, MSE could have been included. I'm sure it would have done well.

As for whether security suites protect better than their respective AVs, I think it depends on which suite we are talking about. Take Kaspersky for example, KIS provides better protection than KAV because KAV does not have the PDM module. But for ESET, I don't think there is much difference between its AV and security suite.

Regards

16. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Sunbelt missing....... yet again..... so sad......:(

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

While i do agree that avast! could perform better (at least compared to some others), i don't agree that Behavior Shield "doesn't work". It's just not designed to check for all behavior just yet. Behavior Shield was initially suppose to be called "Exploit Shield" as it was pretty much only focused on covering explots and rootkits. And still is. Additional sensors are planned for avast! 5.1 arriving later this year, but nothing definitive yet. So maybe we did a small mistake calling it "Behavior Shield" for the time being instead "Exploit Shield", but that's how it is for now. Some just expect too much from it (while i do fall into this group as well, i know the background of it, so i understand why it's this way).

18. IBK

IBK AV Expert

btw, as I am getting some emails asking about this: "We may test also other products which are not part of the main test-series, but only separately and for a limited time-period." -> this means that we are testing also some few other products in parallel, but those are internal tests for the respective vendor(s) and it is up to them if they let us publish their results or not. I can not even disclose which vendors are tested separately, as that is under NDA.

19. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I'm testing more than 50 new 0-day malware samples each day, and not a SINGLE time has Norton asked me for a decision. I just don't see how "it's up to the user" when there's not even a decision to be made. It has automatically blocked every threat from day one I started testing Norton '11.

20. guest

guest Guest

What means limited time of period? only 1 month or 2? what is the max and min period?

21. IBK

IBK AV Expert

some take part separately for 1 month, some for 4 months.

22. begemot64

begemot64 Registered Member

I'd like to commend the author(s) of the report for attempting a layman's explanation about statistical testing. Too often in other tests (in general) this is missed out, and not understood by those who read these kind of reports.

A well chosen methodology with a large sample size can produce very powerful results, if you use the right statistical instruments.

23. Nek

Nek Registered Member

MSE isn't only a simple AV, it employs some form of network filtering and behavioral analysis methods. At least that's what I deduced from a Microsoft MVP.

Here's what I found earlier,
    source: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/a96f2254-3550-4131-a855-fc68813ee2f9

source: http://social.answers.microsoft.com...t/thread/345ba7ad-70ee-4249-9aac-d2bd214f0a6f

24. buddee

buddee Registered Member

Panda got high scores in all test, wel done Panda

25. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

these results of panda are of panda internet security suite..will panda cloud also have same reults ?or will panda cloud pro have same results ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.