AV-Comparatives Tests of 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Instead of starting a new thread i may just reply here. And Mod should split the thread into 2.

Antivir did surprisingly well. Its pass record has always been Standard or rarely Advance. This time is score very high. ( And it is not even a version 7 results ^^ )

Others are more of less the same. AVG passed the test for 2nd time LOL.

F prot has been going downhill.........

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

it is version 7.

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

My favorite AV continues to be one of the best ones!!! :D

Great surprise with AntiVir, and avast! seems that are growing well to...

I really don't know what's happened with F-Prot (lost the Peter's) and Dr.Web...

BitDefender was so good on the last tests, and now...

Thanks for your great work, IBK! ;)

4. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Thank you IBK for theses tests :) .

There were some surprises :eek: , as you've anounced before: BitDefender, what happened ? (will use it though :p Lol - there's only a 1,6 % difference with last on-demand test indeed)... Antivir, a very good sign for version 7, and I'm glad I bought G-Data AVK 2006 ! :D

And congrats to Eset: now Symantec is behind NOD !

Cheers,
    nicM

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  5. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Didnt expect this from VBA32!! :eek: :cautious:

Congratulations ESET!

6. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I expected a bit better showing from the new and improved DrWEB. F-Prot was also a bit off the mark, maybe its time for F-Prot 4?...waiting-waiting-sigh...:rolleyes: :D

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although disappointed in Bit Defender, I am not going to ditch it, and with Ewido think the Trojans will get caught.

Jerry

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I've been using F-secure for 2 years and know how good it is.Did it's finish surprise anyone?.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

one of its engines is KAV so its no surprise (to me) that it did well

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

BD will show it's true power in Proactive tests i belive. Along with NOD32 which is already a traditional winner... :)

11. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

That's true, however with it's big signature database I expected better detection in this test. I'm not dissapointed, BitDefender remains an excellent choice (especially when comparing price <-> peformance).

12. hemkop

hemkop Registered Member

Well "Rejzor" bitdefender does not upgrade the hive so much, at least once at month i think they should do that.
    But why cant BD show true power both on: Retrospective/ProActive Test and on: On-demand comparative :)?
    And what if BD gets on Retrospective/ProActive Test also bad power ?, then something is really bad, because all says that BD has improved the hive, so we will see, if they will not show good next time, then its not so good for BD. And i hope next time BD shows both on Retrospective and On-deamnd test both good results, as usual as before.
    But as usual my favo nood32 and norton got good results.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  13. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, congratulations to ESET! They are the second as F-Secure uses KAv angine (don't know why was it included in the test..it was obvius it will get the same detection rate) and AVK uses KAV and BD angines.

BD has a lot of signatures (maybe the highest number) and together with its new HiVE I thought they'll score much more.

14. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Let me see. BD claims it detects over 270 K viruses and avast over 50K. Can you see the gap? Avast scored 93,58% and BD scored 95,65%. Ha, only 2% differences. But how? BD is able to detect 220,000 viruses more then avast? Whats going on?
    This kind of thing is called a Marketing Hype. Does it work? Well according to the replays in this thread it looks it does.
    :(

tD

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The number of threats in the virus database is not indicative of its detection abilities. I quote the FAQ from CyberScrub:

While the above solution is for CyberScrub AV, it also applies to any other AV out there. :)

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Many thanks to IBK once again for a very informative site. :cool:

Acadia

17. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I don't know why you are quoting my words, but that’s what I am saying in my post above(if you read more carefully).

tD

18. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Stop drinking Old Monk Firecat! :D

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

He is too young to drink such strong stuff. So am I of course.:D :D
    But he is really smart... for a kid.:D

He is one of my favorites.

Jerry

20. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Cool, didn't see this test until now. NOD32 is doing better & better, that's awesome.

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I know Norton/Symantec is disliked/hated here, but how about some praise on how well NAV did. I don't have a love/hate relationship with any AV, and I don't try to persuade anyone to use a certain AV. I use what I feel like using at any particular time. Right now I'm using NAV 2006, and there are somethings I'm not happy with, but I think it deserves a "Job Well Done" to the way it performed in the AV-Comparitive tests. I'm not trying to start a war or offend anyone. I just figured I'd say something good about NAV, since I'm pretty sure no one else will. ;) *puppy* :)

22. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Hmmm .. well I will support you on that. Really IMHO when people unfairly attack *any* product, it tells me more about that person than about the product unfairly attacked. It tells me that person is a "software bigot" and until shown otherwise I will tend to "tune out" that person's posted opinions because that person has demonstrated he/she is being controlled by emotion and hate rather than by dispassionate objectivity. We all need to grow up and get off our soapbox vendettas and abandon our pet prejudices and treat *all* products fairly / equitably / impartially .. to do otherwise is IMHO equivalent to bigotry, in fact if people expressed opinions about race as passionately and negatively as they express "hate" against certain products on this and similar Boards they would be labeled a racist! And rightly so! Hope no one is offended by that statement but good food for thought .. Take Care All, Warmly, Ran

23. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good idea -- one we should ALL give heed to (if you get my drift).:blink:

24. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Ok, this is what I was afraid of. :) I just wanted to point out the fine job NAV did on the lastest AV-Comparatives test. I did so because I do think NAV gets a bum rap more often then it should. Read any thread about any AV, and there will be at least one or two "NAV Sucks" posts. I believe people do that just to get a reaction from other posters. You just don't see those comments when it comes to other AVs such as KAV, NOD, Avast, what ever. I'm sure there are people out there who think it, but won't say it. I know people are very passionate about the AV they use. Hey, that's fine. And there is always going to be someting about a particular AV that someone won't like. And that's fine. I'm just saying, NAV is a very good product. and reading all the NAV bashing all the time gets old. Like I said above, I don't have a love/hate relation with any AV.

Ok, I'm off my soap box. :) Let the bashing begin. ;) :D

25. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

NAV isn't bashed for it's signatures ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.