AV-Comparatives- Summary Report 2014

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by phyniks, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Nice, anon. Do you have a database built of top links?

I like reading posts from Emsisoft and Fabian. They do a great job of making things easy to understand.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

3. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

Its good indicator of performance in a year but not something to be relied completely. I found bitdefender decent but not best in terms of support.

4. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

+1! :thumb:

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

'Best' is very subjective IMO. For me the best is a variety of things factored.. Usability, support, stability, reliability, speed, weight, and things like DNA/Fingerprinting to detect unknown malware. Kaspersky for example always ends up becoming unstable, or not updating in a timely manner, or having some software bug or another, and seems to lack an effective DNA type of system. Everytime I put it on machines they come back laced with PUA's, unstable, or bogged down. 'Best' is very subjective I think, and synthetic test environments are only one small part of the picture to me.

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

what Mayahana says is written on page 4.

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Agreed. Very important IMO.

8. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Funny you mention that because everytime I get a computer to repair from one of my clients, it would be filled of crapware/PUPs and they would have Kaspersky IS installed. so your statement is very true, it is crap when it comes to PUP detections because by default that option is turned off and the non tech savvy users would never think of enabling anything in the options, they just install an AV and forget about it

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I had the option enabled, and found 4 pieces of crapware on my daughters computer in only 10 days of running Kaspersky. I could run ESET or Norton for years with no crapware, Trend was BAD with crapware until 2015, but you really need Hypersensitive turned on IMO. Nevertheless, KAV and WSA have been really bad with this., most recently my father in-laws system was laced with crapware slowing it down with WSA on it, I had to move him to Forticlient, because FC is quite good at crapware w/PUP option checked.

10. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Why not Emsisoft? In my opinion, one of the best regarding PUP.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Emsisoft is amazing for that. I agree. The problem is it does seem to cause a bit of slowdown/lag when I test it, and have had some random bugs that come up. I'm sort of picky about how a product 'feels' on my systems. Otherwise, I like it a lot, just not something I will run at this time.

12. siketa

siketa Registered Member

IMHO, the best PUP detectors are MBAM and ESET.

13. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Same here, it is way too buggy for my liking. Security center reporting it's off even though it's on, despite enabling the icon to show in the notifications taskbar, upon reboot, it would go back to hidden sometimes, way too buggy for my OCD I'd never run it personally but its detection is great.

14. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I have little tolerance for software bugs, especially in security programs. Which is usually why I stick to the big boys (Norton, Trend, Fortinet).

15. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Some programs have more bugs than others and it's pretty difficult to find an av that has zero glitches. Many times the cause is incompatibility with other programs, too much security, a poorly maintained operating system, e.g. failure to update OS, remnants of other security products, virus, etc. It's hard to say without doing a little digging. Because there is a glitch on one system doesn't mean it will effect all systems. I have not yet seen an antivirus program that has not had some sort of problem.

I have had some severe bugs that have kept me from properly shutting down my computer and blue screens at startup preventing me from entering the OS. These are the bugs that really bother me. But, these had no effect on other setups. The developer has already fixed these problems.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  16. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I find Unchecky an excellent little software for average users for PUP protection.

17. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Ditto

18. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Continually reporting bugs after there has been a program update is highly inaccurate. If a person hasn't run the most recent program update to see if a bug still exists, then, this type of historical bug reporting is pretty much irrelevant.

Bitdefender has released 10 updates since the release of version 2015 back in July. This averages approximately 1 update every two or three weeks. This shows me their commitment to continuously improve their products.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  19. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

this shows me how bad their quality control is and how poorly written is Bitdefender. No wonder other products that use the BD engine actually offer good detection yet are much better alternatives such as BullGuard.

I would prefer a product that is well written and rarely needs updates to work right. Thumbs up to ESET on this as their releases are the least buggiest in my experience of any AV, they rarely need to do updates.

To each his own.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

21. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Yes, in a way. I messaged IBK and was informed the list I'm looking for doesn't exist. I now remember that within the Summary Reports, AV-C used to list the past winners of the Product of the Year. For some reason they quit doing this. Anyway, IBK sent me this.

2004: Kaspersky
    2005: Kaspersky
    2006: ESET
    2007: ESET
    2008: AVIRA
    2009: Symantec
    2010: F-Secure
    2011: Kaspersky
    2012: Bitdefender
    2013: Kaspersky
    2014: Bitdefender

22. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

Don't forget this topic where most of the discussion pertained to performance problems with ESET.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/av-test-december-2014-windows-7.372640/

Key words and phrases used:

• 'stutter'
    • 'streaming is bad and you tube videos with buffer way to often'
    • 'extremely slowed down upload speeds'
    • 'speedtest results went from normal (150/150) to an abysmal 20 or less'
    • 'performance worse and worse'
    • 'As for loading webpages slower, it's not the server, it's the HTTP scanning it's a nightmare'
    • "'pause' when you start to stream videos"
    • 'kicked Eset to the curb'
    • 'It's time they work on how heavy it is'
    • 'entire system feels slow'
    • 'browsing and app launch take a big hit'
    • 'Others here have mentioned ESET makes the system sluggish'
    • "Then they uninstalled it, and the whole system felt 'snappier'"
    • 'have not experienced how instantly webpages load without Eset's super duper heavy HTTP scanner'
    • 'major complaints about buffering'
    • 'Disabling ESET didn't fix it, strangely enough, I actually had to uninstall it'
    • 'I couldn't believe how much ESET was impacting performance after it was removed'
    • 'same here just disabling it (and i mean the whole thing including its firewall and all shields) did not fix it.'
    • 'I once had a problem with connecting to Outlook 2013, disabling NOD32 didn't resolve the issue, only uninstalling it'

It appears like they are past due for a program update.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

VERY past due. I can't even use my ESET licenses. I agree with your points entirely.

24. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Yes to me, ESET is the king of heaviness, heavier than McAfee now even. I have buried my 2 year / 5 device license in the sand hoping that one day they will focus on the performance aspects of the AV. They keep telling me to complain on their forum but I don't know what to complain about exactly, the whole system feels slower with NOD32 on, browsing, downloading, etc. and to be honest I have no time to be testing disabling this and disabling that. it's not like if I disable the HTTP scanning and my problem is solved they will fix anything in it next day and I need to have a stable running system thus I chose to buy another AV and be done with it.

just my 2 cents worth

25. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

I guess we're floating on the same boat. my money wasted after I have bought this licene based on my good past experience with ESET, the moment I renewed my license and the heaviness started. It scares me when ESET announces a new version! everytime it's heavier, and heavier, and heavier. They killed the lightest AV for gamers as it was before.

PS: On a side note, does anyone know which of the following versions of NOD32 works on Windows 7? I might install it for my other 4 computers at least since they now are running NOD32 v8 and are suffering from performance...

v2
    v3
    v4

those are the last light versions, after that it was from bad to worse to horrible to unusable

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.