Av-Comparatives Retrospective/Proactive Test May 2009

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Love him or hate him but IMO Matt's tests at remove-malware are performed in a realistic way on the type of malware average users are likely to encounter.

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

sorry but you're just trying to flame the thread,I love the way the fanboys react to any test result.really amusing!

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  3. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Automatic Mode?

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Is there any, how bout if it ends up blocking a legit app, where and when to discern.

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

If it's Kaspersky we're talking, the worst thing that can happen is that it places the legit app. in Low Restricted, which means it will alert the user to any suspicious, or dangerous actions for that matter. For the apps. that it's totally unsure what to do when such an action happens, say a leaktest, it'll also prompt the user, even if I would rather, for example when it's fiddeling with IE, that it automatically and temporarily restricts it till there's no danger left. It checks both for danger-rating and digital signature, not just digital signature which would leave you vulnerable, and as it still obviously monitors for dangerous actions, you won't go unprotected even if software is placed in the Low Restricted area.

That it can't operate completely automatic is sadly a reason I probably won't use it in the end... :)

6. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

DefenseWall practically has no popups. Sorry...

7. Arup

Arup Guest

How would a guest user know which app is trusted and which isn't, what if he or she blocks a legit application, one thats needed for proper functioning of the OS? Since your HIPS makes all process runing as untrusted, what happens when a panic stricken noob ends up making system folder untrusted?

8. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It doesn't, only certain internet faced applications, and it does that automatically.

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

IMHO, AV-Test, AV-Comparative,Anti-Malware.ru
    Esp. AV-Test who are often commissioned to do custom tests, with a recent or active threat sample set. Also Anti-Malware.ru does many interesting tests with recent rootkit, polymorphic malware sets.

But now there a lot of new ones coming out like too. So Sunbelt could try anyone, for starters.

10. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Don't block anything. Use Sandboxie and flush the toliet when your done!:argh:

Ice

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Btw. neither Defensewall nor Sandboxie works in x64 Win so still need roto router.

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It seems they just got sick of putting the crown on avira's head for every comparative test that they do and they've changed (a bit :rolleyes:) the test's "rating results policy". In the end, it's the 'plus' (+) sign what matters for marketing purposes ;)

Hey, help me selling my product! :D

13. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Congratulations to Microsoft, Eset, and Kaspersky !!

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree. Install it on any average user's system, and the program automatically finds the most common programs that need to be untrusted (internet browsers, chat clients etc). Rarely is there a pop-up/alert.

And the best part of the program, is that users can download files, and use the files while the system is still protected.

I'm a big fan of sandboxie, but found average users seem to always want to instantly recover a download, without scanning and checking the file first, or checking the source. Or they get tired of recovering downloads and switch to using an unsandboxed browser all the time. These users would better suit DefenseWall as they can keep on using downloaded files without any harm to their system.

True, if a user does want to install a program permanently, they have to run it as trusted. But more often than not, the average user has problems downloading small zip files for example, through peer to peer networks (limewire) etc.

And it's great that more advanced users can filter through files and registry tracks to delete files from their system permanently. This program is definitely 'set and forget'. More people (including myself) should be giving this program a go. :thumb:

15. IceCube1010

Oh I'm very happy about that. If I need something configured within my FF browser, I'll just disable the sandbox, update then it re-enables. RunSafer is protecting while sandboxie is disabled and Avira picks up the slack. It's a win win situation!

Ice

16. IceCube1010

Didn't notice the sig. Someday Sandboxie will work with all x64 bit OS.

Ice

17. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Sigh... Security is security. All these tests are probably not even reliable because all tests show different results. My friend is a Microsoft Certified Engineer and he says Microsoft Forefront and Symantec Endpoint Protection is more effective than Avira. =/

18. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Are those new tests reliable? What about Remove-Malware or MalwareResearchGroup?

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

SEP 11 isn't really a comparable product. It has AV with a firewall and also proactive protection, whereas Avira is AV alone, or at best, the suite is AV with firewall. Avira with a good firewall and HIPS added might very well be more effective than SEP 11.

20. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

That's where I stopped reading.

Microsoft Certified eng saying Microsoft is better gee that's a totally independent view :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2009
  21. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I am not aware of MalwareResearchGroup and their practices so I will not comment.

With regard to Remove-Malware.com, I had a chat with Matt on one of the threads here. Its seems his test bed comprises of random population of malware on device outside the DMZ. So its not standardized, hence when ACME AV is tested there may be 2112 malware samples but when AJAX AV is tested there may be 1873. The exact specifics seem to be unknown, so its hard to compare performance of ACME & AJAX AV.

Matt believes that his machine is infected with over 1000 pieces of malware, but unlike other test/testers he doesn't maintain a list of malware in his machine.Hence at the end of the test, he is unable to accurately verify if all samples have been caught and removed. He only does some basic tests to check if everything has been removed like IE check, process check. But still nothing to see if all the malware debris has been removed and if any system files have been corrupted.

IMHO, Remove-Malware.com is an excellent hobbyist test with a lot of real-world samples. But its not standardized enough to be made the AV test bible.

22. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Since when does MSCE gives you qualification for inside knowledge of anti-malware technology?

23. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

No, it wont. Read the SB forums. They delete any debate on 64bit versions. Sandboxie will die a slow and painful death come windows 7. I'm sure someone who cares will write something better.

24. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Not, but from his personal experience on a company Windows 2000 network with industry strength endpoint protection and a strict LUA + SRP policy, Microsoft problably was sufficient

On a desktop running admin, behind a router. . . . I prefer Avira beta Proactive :D Simular to the MSCE friend I have no inside knowledge (no clue better said) on AV's, just looking at lowest amount of blacklist fingerprints in the data base and highest detection score on some AV tests.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  25. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

Avira beta Proactive only for German speaking users?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.