Av-Comparatives: Retrospective/Proactive Comparative May 2010

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrGSM, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

It may depend upon how you define “the real strengths of a security package.” For myself (and I suspect for many users as well), the “real strength” is equivalent to the simple concept of malware protection. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt that most users of an anti-malware product really care whether a threat was blocked by a signature or by a heuristic or by “Feature X”-- only that it was in fact successfully blocked. In my opinion, a single test can indeed measure this “real strength:” a whole-product dynamic test. It measures real-world performance -- i.e., it measures the “real strength” of all of the features of an anti-malware product working together.

Additionally, I think there is a logical issue in suggesting that the “overall effectiveness of an antivirus” is equal to the sum of the effectiveness of its individual components (i.e., "the combination of..."). This would only be true if the individual components were independent of one another (i.e., their functionality was detached and operated separately). Today, however, that is not necessarily the case: for example, the heuristic engine interacts with the AV engine which interacts with the firewall which interacts with the intrusion prevention engine, etc. Trying to infer the performance of the whole by examining the performance of parts in isolation is like trying to guess the performance of an athlete by assessing and summing the health of her/his internal bodily organs -- the effort just seems counterproductive and unwise.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

We are indeed on the same line, all boils down to the capacity of protecting from malware. How this is best done and how to measure its another story.

Very sexy but unbalanced the comparison between complex organism like humans and antivirus software.

We are not talking about interaction or sum of elements but integration and complementarity. A step above what you mentioned.
    I know you like dressing your analysis with a a good level of sophism and sound textual logic but please don't expect I will be following your long argumentation... too much stress from a non native English speaker.

The point was
    Assess the overall strengths of a product rather than just parts of it. And your answer was? I could not really get it o_O

So peace and enjoy your time :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  3. doc77

doc77 Registered Member

o_O lol WTFo_O

4. dan323

dan323 Registered Member

Well here is my question. I am now using a trial of Norton 2010. I downloaded but have not run Panda Global Security yet. I tried Avast and IE8 no longer would open and FF3 was super slow. Kaspersky slowed me down also. AVG 9 did ok and I am runnig it on the desktop and laptop in my home. But for my laptop I am undecided as to use Norton 2010/2011 or try Panda. Is Panda that good ? I am a bit paranoid about security. I also use MBAM/Superantispyware/and Hitman Pro. Advice would be welcomed for the best Security suite,Norton or Panda !*puppy*

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

@Dan323

We are not allowed to have A vs B here, but I can say Norton and Panda are both good security suites. Try both out (not at the same time) and find what one runs the bets for you.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi dan323!

I just want to tell you that Panda has a Beta going on, on the "Panda Global Security 2011"

And if you take part in the Beta program you will get a 50% discount once the Final version is released;) :thumb:

More info here: http://www.pandasecurity.com/promotions/betatest/

Scroll down and you can read > ""Everybody gets a prize! Just for taking part you'll get a 50% discount on the price of the 2011 final release version""

Though remember it is a Beta wich means there can be present bugs etc.. in the program.

But I thought I pass this along since you were talking about the Panda Global Protection.

Cheers:)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  7. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Readers of this thread may be interested to know that...

The guidelines may be obtained from: AMTSO Whole Product Testing Guidelines (May, 2010).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.