AV-Comparatives reports

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Congrats Antivir in particular due to the great honing of the heuristic engine. I am glad to see that the fp's are equal to those of NOD32. That way, any time a NOD32 user bashes Antivir for being particularly fp prone, I can now always refer to this test :D

Some products are slipping which is kind of dissapointing, but there is always room for improvement for any product.

Lodore, if you don't want that license, someone is always in need of one *puppy*

Cheers,
    Alphalutra1

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i will keep that in mind Alphalutra1
    i want my nod32 license ready for v3 when it finally comes out.
    lodore

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im still dissappointed its not the 7.5 version,

everyone knew the heuristics, or basically lack of were in avg, only 7.5 has the updated improved heuristics and detection.

but still, 3% .. not too far off kaspersky :D and avg had few fp's, the only good thing to come from this test from my point of view.

i was pleased with dr.webs 34%, alot of FP's but... most were only tagged as 'suspicious' so not all too bad.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its great to see antivir and nod32 doing so well.

as for avg, part of me was not surprised.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I wouldnt worry to much. As IBK has said, all of these products are good and in the case of AVG, looking up is the only way to go. 3 months from now, I could be eating turkey and you will be the one smiling. It is good though, because it is money and gives each, more incentive to improve. My 2007 prediction is, watch F-Prot. :D

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

also, norton ... no FP's *ONCE AGAIN*

they are really 'GOD' at not creating those

7. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

It was a hard test for all programs: In the May test the average antivirus scored 34% while now the average was 28%. That's only 80% of the May result.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And it should be, even harder. If all of these products want to be, so called, "Suites", they need to be able to protect on all levels, so that even the experts here would want one, and not a layered approach. The addition of crap like, "Parental controls," is long past in suite terminology. To be an effective suite in this day and age, "Security" period, is the underlying factor. Pretty doesnt get it anymore.

Otherwise antispyware products will always have their place, and it looks like right now, it is secure.

I want to see one day how a suite protects against zero day threats. That to me is more frigging important than parental controls. I use K9 for that.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

what does the retrospective test have to do with suites?

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nothing to do with suites,

but suites having this 'parental control', i believe f-secure IS 2007 have done this perfectly, giving the option to install with or without.

when the 'without' option is selected, you wont get no displays or signs telling you you havnt got it installed, its like its not meant to be in the suite at all, perfect.

i hate suites were you did a custom install or choose not to install something, then you will find the word in the suite of what you turned off, or your security status will be 'at risk' etc, f-secure 2007 version have perfected this to the tinyest detail.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i never got the option to not install the parental control in fsis2007
    it didnt go wrong thou and i had to end the process because it locked up and then reboot and then finally install. if i had that option it would of been one less process.
    what i find quite funny is the fact it didnt give me the option to not install parental control so there is a separate process for it and it uses 11.5 mb's doing nothing. fun fun.
    Most suites lack a good anti spam so why dont they improve it or remove it?
    lodore

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Congratulations to AntiVir/Avira. Installed my Avira Security Suite again the other day after trying two of the other big boys one more time. Hard to beat Avira SS. :)

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If they have the power to create 100,000 signatures each day, they have the resources to test them
    I second that
    The engines of Dr. Web and VBA32 show lots of potential. I hope in 2007 AVG 7.5 and F-Prot 4 will join this group
    Congrats to:
    -NOD 32
    -Avira
    -BitDefender
    -Norman

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lodore, if you get the latest trial from f-secure, just before installation it lets you choose.

lucas - i know avg 7.5 will play with the big boys, but im keeping my eye on dr.web to be honest, its software i do like .. and if i ever went for the 'just an antivirus' as i dont really need a firewall (router and windows one), this looks promising, plus .. for £15 for a year, i think thats cheap, and thats without the 50% discount they do.

15. lucas1985

Yeah, the Ewido engine and sigs are going to have great impact. If they can get rid of FP, AVG 7.5 will be a success
    I am disappointed for the Kaspersky results

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The tests have nothing to do with suites in the short term of reality, but as Don with Kav has stated on numerous occasions, for the people who order online, or walk into CompUSA looking for the one software to do all, based on stupid reviews from Consumer Reports and other stupid recomendations, it has everything to do with it. Well Don didnt say all of that, but some. But this is also the group that shells out the bucks to buy, buy, buy, not the group here. So now, which do you think they market themselves to.

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You wont be come right before spring. The old mare, is about to start kicking again with new heuristics.

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't exactly understand how for example avast! can have better score than Kaspersky. Great job to ALWIL, but still...

19. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Whats hard to understand ? it beat more than KAV....

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, just sum up the number and rate of signatures added, how soon they were discovered and engine itself (KAV is know for it's brutal unpacker).
    And avast! updates daily or every 2-3 days, has medium sized engine medium unpacking. And scores way better. It's just weird...

21. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

RejZoR I know what you mean :) VLK said he would make things better, without heuristics the ALWIL crew did better. :)

22. DaveD

DaveD Guest

I guess it was mostly from generic detections, avast! has been adding those like crazy for a while now. Seems to be working well for them.

23. lucas1985

yes, generic signatures are easy to make and don´t require engine rewriting.
    But they don´t help in case of runtime-packed executables and rare/new malware. Also, they require a certain grade of fine-tuning
    Code analysis, emulation and unpacking/unarchiving engines require hard research and constant updating for new/modified packers(in case of static unpacking)

An interesting discovery: Antivir and NOD 32 detects a high number of backdoors and trojans which are the most prominent and dangerous malware of today
    Thumbs up for Avira and Eset

24. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To be exact, AVIRA took it all except FP:s, where both AVIRA and NOD scored equal with few FP:s and Symantec had none. :D :D :D

What more to say?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

25. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.