AV-Comparatives product of the Year 2012: BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

sad to see webroot going out of 2013 tests. :(

2. muf

muf Registered Member

After going through every type of anti-malware over the last 20 years and being suckered into swapping to an alternative because my choice did poorly in a test, I feel your ending comment about wisdom and age to be spot on. Well said!

Love it. Getting all defensive now. lol.
    Oh, and there's no such thing as a reliable test. You will learn this in time having gained experience and falling into the trap too many times...

3. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

The prestigious UK PC Pro magazine (www.pcpro.co.uk) has a security suites lab test in the latest March 2013 issue (on-sale tomorrow, I think), where Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 was the labs winner.

AVG and Avira received an average rating. Microsoft Security Essentials was slated with only a 1-star for performance.

As stated above, Webroot wasn't in the PC Pro labs roundup, either. Every other security brand was, including PC Tools.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

5. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I think the problem is that those security labs tend to forget to set Avira's Heuristics level to HIGH.

6. zmechys

Without the Anti-Virus software tests from independent, globally recognized test-labs, like AV-Comparatives, VB100, AV-Test GmbH, etc., we would be left only with the "loudly-noisy-brainwashing-marketing pitches" from AV makers.
    On the other hand, for some participants of this forum, this kind of discussion could produce a powerful reason to enjoy their lives again. (It's a joke)

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Most security labs test products at defaults because most users will just install and forget.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

9. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Very good :thumb:

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Words of wisdom there.Now can I show you my weber grill that I dont cook on as its to pretty, so I just roll it up and down the block to show it off.:pHa Ha just kidding

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Nice!
    Congratulations to BD! :thumb:

12. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

Interesting to see tie between BDIS and KIS.

BDIS good in 2012, but surprisingly never that good at MRG 0-Day testing - and came bottom in this MRG expolit test from August 2012:
    http://www.mrg-effitas.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/MRG-Effitas-Exploit-Prevention-Test.pdf

For me Kaspersky always seems to be top 3/5 in any test i ever seen when they participate, so in a tie between BD and KIS for AV of year i would more likely go KIS as have been consistency across many tests throughout the year.

13. woomera

woomera Registered Member

they both achieved the same result in detection tests but kaspersky shouldve won IMO.
    less bugs and more compatibility with other softwares, more options for power users and a much more advanced firewall.

14. Sher

Sher Registered Member

I knew it already. Well done.

15. zmechys

I've decided to do a full scan - System Scan - on my computer with BitDefender Windows 8 Security Antivirus that I installed a week ago.
    Before BitDefender, I had Avira AV installed. It used to take about 2 hours and 50 minutes to do a full computer scan with AntiVir 2013.

It took 59 minutes for BD Windows 8 to complete the full scan.
    Scan time : 0: 59: 25
    Files per second : 212
    Scanned items : 758198

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Some off topic posts removed. Don't post anymore off topic posts.

17. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Agreed.

18. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Its the sort of people who base their av choice on tests that the av vendors love.
    Does well in tests so people will pay.
    Hmm i wonder how much these "testing" organisations get paid for displaying good results.?:shifty: :shifty:

19. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

yes these AV companies are what destroyed the perfect image I had for NOD32 into an AV I am scared to use now as it always gets the worst results. NOD32 had always worked the best for me with 0 FP's and minimal performance hit

20. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if it always worked well for you and you never had a issue and no fp's why not use it anyway and not worry about tests imo...i still use eset and wsa and both are not the best tested i use them because they work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.