AV-Comparatives: Performance Test

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by King Grub, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

2. Yanix

Yanix Registered Member

I always known that Antivir was the lightest antivirus :thumb:

3. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I tought kaspersky 2010 was heavy...

4. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

It was very heavy on both my PC's.

5. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Well all in all this test seemed kind of pointless. Inless I'm missing something.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

kaspersky is so heavier now imo i still think 2009 was lighter..... bad move imo

7. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Note AV-C only tested stand-alone AVs, not security suites.

I'm glad to see MSE 1.0 scored well.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's about balancing system performance with protection.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I'm sorry but 90% of those products on there are light enough to the point you could not tell the difference even if you wanted to. You would have to benchmark the program to even see the difference.

The other 10% people already know they are heavy as hell on the system.

10. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I have noticed a difference between Norton AV 2010 and MSE in my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545). Norton was slowing things a bit here (for exemple: opening new tab in Chrome and Windows Jump Lists were a bit sluggish). That's why I installed MSE again to run with Prevx.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  11. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Avast 1 whole point behind. Very, very light this Avast. Love it.

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

GIANT strides in the performance direction by F-Secure. I dumped F-Secure IS 2009 because it literally buried each system I installed it on.

Now F-Secure 2010 seems to have turned a new leaf.

13. sourav_gho

sourav_gho Registered Member

Friends whatever your perception kaspersky 2010 in beginning should be changed by now. Initially at the release it was making system slow especially IE and Windows Explorer operations were very slow. But now with build 736 patch a and b, it is very fast. You can give it try with latest build and patch, it is really fast...

14. Indyan

Indyan Registered Member

I have a quick question. Since, I can't PM IBK I am asking it over here.
    Can I publish an article for an online news site based on Av-comparatives findings? I know that I can't reproduce the tables from the test or link directly to the reports page. But can I atleast mention that Avira won, followed by Kingsoft and F-Secure while G Data, eScan etc performed hopelessly? This seems to fall under the purview of fair use of copyrighted material. Or am I simply barred from completely writing about it?

And as far as the resulsts are concerned, Avira being at the top is no surprise. I personally use KIS and KIS 2010 is definitely breezier than before.

15. IBK

IBK AV Expert

sure you can, np.

16. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Like stated, 90% of the products seem to be doing great, this is excellent news for everyone. I see no reason to complain!

17. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

So I guess you don't need to read the report then. :D

18. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

That was my reaction to these results, too. For example, even a large 50% increase in the time to copy a file with an anti-malware product active may typically be completely unnoticeable (e.g., duration increases from 1.0 sec. to 1.5 sec.).

19. Indyan

Indyan Registered Member

Thanks.

20. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    I strongly disagree, based on the experience of installing quite a few brands out there on many..many..many systems. I hear the end user complaints very quickly after upgrading or changing their AV product to a heavier one, or...on the other hand...I head them state how much quicker their system feels if I've replaced a "heavy" AV product with a lighter one.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I haven't had that experience. The current 9.0.0.736 has been running great. I can hardly tell the difference between Norton, ESET, and Kaspersky, and find them all very light. In the end it just depends on what runs well on your particular machine and OS.

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

every system i have put kaspersky on i took it off.. way to heavy now for my tastes..startup took a lot longer, things take longer to open especially when trying to use something new for the first time. and you tube and things like that play-stop-play-stop-play etc.. when i took it off all those things were gone..

23. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

This can go both ways depending on the system and it's software. Even the lightest AV can feel heavy and the one that scored the heaviest now feels the lightest. There are also many different conflicts that can come into play when it comes to how a AV acts on peoples systems. But on a overall on a normal system, I still hold to my view that 90% of those the difference is so small you would never notice it.

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Interesting. I've not had those problems. Startup for me is actually faster than with some other products. Web browsing is faster than with most. I do get the slow down on opening something for the first time, but due to the program being scanned to see if it is a threat I am ok with that as it only happens once. Not trying to argue with you, it just doesn't slow down my machine overall. This is why there is no one best product for everyone.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

avast! 5 is really fast. I'm using it on my netbook and i can't even notice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.