av-comparatives news

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IBK, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IBK

IBK AV Expert

hi,

i only want to inform you all that you should visit the website more often, as - beside the regular tests of february, may, august and november - also other test reports etc. are released from time to time (mainly always listed somewhere on this page: http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/comparatives.html). so stay tuned, i plan to release some more reports this month and at the 1st september the results/report for the august test. ;)

cu,
    IBK

(p.s. currently busy due the august test etc., do not expect that i answer within minutes like usual ;)).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Thanks, IBK. :thumb:

Acadia

3. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Indeed , thank you :)

4. pykko

pykko Registered Member

nice..I've just read some interesting stuff from July's release report. ;) ESET is among the first to add signatures, having about 16 updates per week and adding about 1300 defs/week. Symantec adds much more and so KAV but they have poor heuristics and this may be one of the reason. :)
    I've noticed something else also. KAV release sometimes updates with only 1 definition submitted by an infected user and McAfee(and I should say Panda also from my experience) includes in the e-mail a special signature for that user and then it releases it for general public also. Perhaps some others should do the same. I don't know if ESET reacts this way or not. o_O

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I would argue about poor KAV heuristics since you obviously haven't read the KAV6 document which is two clicks above the one you're commenting...

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

it's about PDM and I've read it. ;) I've clicked everywhere on av-comparatives.org site. :p But I'm talking about heuristics not Proactive defence module (there are similitudes but they are different from many points of view). you will say the PDM is more effective etc but I don't like to be prompted everytime even on legitimate files and process. On my first run of KAV it prompted me when I tried to launch Yahoo! Messenger (injector, bla, bla). If I get these I don't think I can trust it too much (prompting almost on everything of course it will catch malware also)

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Oh for crying out loud, PDM is NOT asking you for every legitim stuff. In fact it never DID compared to all the false positives by heuristics.:rolleyes:

8. edwardk

edwardk Registered Member

Who is AV-comparatives and how accurate is their research?

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

They (or he) is a test org and one of the better there is.:)

10. IBK

IBK AV Expert

its anyway something completly different with different approach. when kav will release their new heuristic in near future, it can be compared with that, but not with pdm plz.

11. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

PDM? Proactive Defence Module? or something?

12. IBK

IBK AV Expert

definitly "they", as listed in the about_us section ;) I would be unable to do all this work alone. even as it is now with the little "team" it takes much.

yes, PDM = Proactive Defence Module

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Since when does "approach" make any difference between one and another eh? Guys at Softwin, ESET and Norman are runing entire systems emulated and monitored. It's still behavior blocking with only difference that it's performed inside virtual environment. Yet we treat them as "heuristics".
    But KAV is running it on host level and is always out of the league for what reason exactly? Just because it's host based and not emulated? What makes regular heuristics so damn better than behavior blocker engine in KAV?
    Coz honestly apart from superior detection of later one, i don't see a single thing.
    You guys may think whatever you like but as i've cracked the ITW and ZOO stuff months ago i'm cracking up heuristics definition this time. The core behavior blocker is NO different than any of above heuristics. Has anyone ever got hundreds of popups with Panda TruPrevent. No? Wait, isn't that behavior blocker too? Em no? Last time i hear it was. So whats now? :eek:

14. IBK

IBK AV Expert

for you it may be just a small difference, but imo it is a BIG difference between virtual emulation and behaviour blocking. emulation can identify viruses, most BBs will usually not be able to block e.g. viruses. :ninja:
    if it would be the same and as you say better than traditional heuristics, why would KAV add a better heuristic to their product?

as behaviour blocker yes :D (at least in past, dunno now)

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Yeah they can detect viruses but for most of the time they mis even the most obvious ones. And it's not like we have 300 file infectors every day... :rolleyes:

16. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

KAV PDM acts practically as HIPS software, something I like along with the excellent AV detection rate that KAV has. :thumb:

17. veri

veri Registered Member

Fantastic, I've been waiting on your results to decide whether to stay with Nod32 or switch to KAV, SAV CE, or BD. :D

18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

You can install legit program that uses startup entries and KAV won't warn you at all (basic mode). But if you run some trojan that also uses startup it will warn you (again basic mode). So where is the warning on legit app? I haven't seen it. Registry control is completelly separate thing from core behavior blocker...

19. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Agree with you IBK ...there are some differences between PDM and heuristics and KAV is doing a good job as well as other AVs. I don't think we should quarrel on this. :)

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Hi,

I again strongly suggest to visit the website , I uploaded another report (see the 2 reports of July). ;)

regards,
    IBK

21. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Thank you i will visit

22. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Actually Bakaver is not the only one. I remember one sample on Malware Research that had identity problems. Some AV vendors said it's clean, others that it's indeed malware. And if i remember correctly it wasn't anything near polymorphic file infector type...

23. rothko

rothko Registered Member

damn the not knowing who is which vendor, i feel teased

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One post removed.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2006
  25. IBK

IBK AV Expert

To anyone: please do not try to tell to others who is behind which number. The report was censored due good reasons. IC said which number stands for F-Prot. But it should not been said who is behind other numbers (also not guesses, hints , etc.) - this is to protect the companies (and somehow also myself) against bashing from other companies relying on a statistical insignificant test. Thanks for understanding.

@IC: will talk to u tomorrow on MSN ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.