AV-Comparatives: Mac Security Review / Test 2015

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SweX, Jul 25, 2015.

1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Guess I should use Avast if a Mac ever become my main computer where I want to test a lot of things.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@J_L I had to remove malware from a Mac recently, and Avast worked very well.

The computer was infected with adware which directed the user to the MacKeeper page.

4. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

I find AV-Comparatives Mac test is AGAIN all about showing features and not about testing for a large swath of Mac malware. Most of the Mac AVs caught all the 105 common samples they threw at it. How about throwing some obscure mac malware and add a sub category of adware detection that is hitting the Mac now. It would be nice to see what malware samples AV-Comparatives used in their test. Why can't they have added that to the PDF for review?

I think the Security Spread Mac AV test is more "telling" on which AV performs better as far as detection. This test throws obscure and partial installs of malware that "can" be seen in the real world. The only problem is that site has not had any recent tests.

http://securityspread.com/detection-rate-results/

I guess you use both these sites together when looking on what Mac AV you want to use. AV-Comparatives to see what the program looks like and it's features, and basic AV detection. Then "when" we see an updated AV test from Security Spread you can use that site's in-depth testing of Mac malware samples to really decide what AV you want to install on your machine.

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

I won't even read their reviews anymore. Once they gone very bad with the "Linux Security Review" I decided to skip their biased nonesense altogether.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.