av-comparatives, Avast and AVG?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by vincevega, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

Avg beating out Avast in the latest av-comparatives! Whats up with that?

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Where do you see that? avast! is ADVANCED, AVG is just STANDARD. Also just bold score doesn't mean everything either...

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

However if you look to the "total detection without DOS malware" AVG scores higher. But still, avast! is the better program without doubt.

4. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

I was looking at the percentages. I must be missing something.

5. TAP

TAP Registered Member

AVG (Grisoft) now seems to be an avid company (after purchasing ewido) and its products are more and more popular, if avast! doesn't concentrate to detection rates enough, I think AVG will beat avast!, AntiVir and maybe other AVs in the near future. :eek: :D :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

What planet are you from o_O

Alphalutra1 :D

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

From UrAnus :)

8. Alphalutra1

Unusual capitalization, but I think it is pronounced as according to wikipedia ˈjʊ.ɹə.nəs or in layman's terms like the word unrinus ;) . Your method is a little crude and vulgar :D , but may be correct to us uncouth americans ;) . This is wikipedia's view

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

TAP introduced a significant fact (Grisoft's purchase of Ewido), in light of which TAP offered some personal opinions.

Rather than insulting TAP, perhaps Alpha~ & Erik~ might instead agree or disdagree with the accuracy of TAP's *fact* and, then, politely agree or disagree with TAP's opinions.

Insulting comments are neither helpful nor instructive.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's show respect for each other on these forums.

11. ErikAlbert

I have two problems.
    1. I still don't understand America's sense for humor.
    2. I like any kind of humor, which isn't always appreciated by other people.
    I just don't have any moral limits. I must have a wiring problem in my brains.
    That's why I have 1700 posts instead of 2000, the rest has been deleted. :D :D :D

12. Alphalutra1

I understand now :D .

To bellgamin, I was being a bit sarcastic/making fun of the attitude that avg will always be the 3rd ranked amoung the free avs, as denoted by my :D . Sorry if this wasn't clear. All my posts to ErikAlbert were harmless bantering :p Hopefully he can take it like a man ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Competition is a good thing. Forces companies (particularly A/V, A/T, and other anti-malware authors) to **** or get off of the pot. AVG is trying to stay an option. They're looking hard at AntiVir and AVAST. They also have to contend with the upcoming releases of KAV 6 soon, and NOD 3 later on. Not to mention of course the other quality products already out there. Bottom line, we all benefit. ;)

15. ErikAlbert

I wasn't offended in any way by anybody in this forum since I'm a member.
    Although some members, like Devil's Advocate and securityx had some bad comments on my personality and nobody said anything about it, except a few members.
    If the personal remark is funny, I appreciate the humor of it. If the personal remark isn't humoristic, I don't care.
    After years of experience in chatrooms and other forums, I know how people can be. Sometimes they have a bad day and write an angry post. So what ?

I'm more interested in opinions about softwares or comments on my opinions and all the rest is ballast for me.
    I'm not even offended when one of my posts is partial removed or completely removed. I never had a problem with that. Sometimes I remove them myself.
    Words are just words and everybody has a different interpretation about any subject and a different attitude towards any subject. I can't read their minds and I don't know anybody at Wilders in real life, not even the ones who live in my country. :)

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The difference between Wilders and other forums is angry posts directed to other members are not acceptable.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A couple of points if I may. Most, if not all, anti-malware software producers work long hours to give computer users a good, solid, product. If they don't come out on top of a test or fail to detect malware isn't because they aren't trying.
    The fast moving nature of threats in this day and time are much different than they were some-odd years ago.
    The best course of action for us users is to support these companies for their hard work.
    If we don't support them, they will disappear.
    Use the software you prefer, support them, and reap the benefits.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Until the latest AV Comparatives I considered AVG not worth looking at, although it seems to be the most popular free AV among the users that I personally know. I also admit that they have not suffered infections, but are happy with AVG.

The latest tests changed my opinion, and with the significant improvement AVG has become one which compares overall with the other two free AVs.
    I will be looking forward to the results of Grisoft's acquisition of Ewido. I have used Ewido for about 18 months, and have no complaints.

Avast has been a good AV for me and friends and family to whom I recommended it .
    I am using it on my laptop as I did not want to buy another AV, and I am satisfied that the combination of Avast and Ewido will do the job.

I do hope AVG continues to make improvements so that it is a difficult job to determine which of the freebies one wants to use.

Jerry

19. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Antivirus scanner analysis

copied from above report:

Long ago I know, but notice that AVG is ahead of Avast by quite a bit and blows H+BEDV off the chart:D

iRiS AntiVirus was my favorite then, but had to return to Norton when support for it disappeared:blink:

20. IBK

IBK AV Expert

where is AVG? o_O I do not see it

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Neither do i, besides, this list is really ancient (almost comparable with dinosaurs). AVP 3, avast! 32 and McAfee v4. IBM Antivirus?! They don't make it anymore for ages. So, very obsolete anyway.

22. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

1997? I was just out of high school that year!

No "kid" jokes please :-/

lol anyway man that thing is 9 years ago no matter how ya look at it!!

23. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Woohoo F-prot is still v.3. :D :D

24. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

In late 1998, McAfee bought Dr Solomon's AntiVirus Toolkit, and then Symantec bought IBM AntiVirus and Intel Landesk AntiVirus, and Norman Data Defenese bought ThunderBye AntiVirus. You can see that before Norton used the IBM Antivirus engine, it scored only around 97-98%. Dr Solomon's AVTK scored 100% but it was completely destroyed by McAfee. F-PROT, which was very good in the past, is now lagging behind.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well we can't say McAfee destroyed Dr.Solomon engine. McAfee scan engine is still one of of most flexibly engines available.
    Btw, McAfee even used avast! engine years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.