Av-comparatives April results

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by darts, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

AVs are a special case as they tend to be suspicious with how they interact with the OS. Ikarus has had their fair share of FPs against us as well, but I'm sure our support team fixed it immediately.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Relax guys, i'm pretty sure they are working on it. :D
    Although it's not the results you guys expected, theres no need to bash the product immediately. :D

3. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I consider myself a VERY, -VERY- big, longtime supporter of Prevx...and even I have a frying pan in my hand waiting to BASH... ;)

It's bashing of tough love though, because I want them to succeed, and it looks like they are definitely doing the right thing. I know this has been probably overused by try getting a developer of Norton to say "Oh about that last test result, we're working on finding the reason..."

4. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

There are two very interesting responses from Webroot people on their community here:
    http://community.webroot.com/t5/Rum...ntivirus-software-is-better-and-more/m-p/4997

Kit touches on the AV-C results also in his. Both are interesting reads.

Kind of makes me wonder, since I know when I worked at McAfee a decade ago that gaming the tests is well-known to happen (Detecting testing is relatively easy, honestly, as is tuning for testing results)... With the way the reality of malware is going these days, does testing mean anything at all anymore really? After all, there are a lot of programs that get excellent results in tests, but computer repair shops in the real world see dozens of infections per week that Norton, McAfee, Panda, the three A's, etc, just don't catch.

5. JCRUYFF

JCRUYFF Registered Member

Hi

Guy have their hope too high for WSA in AV-Comparatives.
    That score is not gonna change in a day to a month unless WSA made some drastically change to their Cloud DB and WSA.
    I myself see WSA will be have a 86-89% frequently in the chart.

6. PrevxHelp

Our goal is 100%, and we'll get as close as possible. This is a bug rather than a lapse in efficacy and we're digging through it as we speak.

7. darts

darts Registered Member

But what Bug is it the? You guys are talking about a Bug all the time.

Greats,

darts

8. PrevxHelp

We don't have the exact answer yet, but I'll let everyone know as soon as we do.

9. darts

darts Registered Member

That's not a very great anwser that all the Webroot users wan't too get with there security!

Greats,

darts

10. PrevxHelp

Investigations like this take time - it isn't just a simple signature database. Our customers are not at risk and this is not affecting the average user.

11. darts

darts Registered Member

Ok we will waite and hope it doesn't take too long.

Greats,

darts

12. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Would you prefer it if he lied? The man's being honest, which makes it a great answer in my book.

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

I completely agree. A wise person, I believe it was writer William Langland who once said "patience is a virtue". Good God I'm having college flashbacks...:eek: :doubt: :blink:

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I just find it funny that an AV will do bad in the 'tests' and some people will go like "oh noes!, I'm not protected!, I'm going to switch to the top performer." :D.
    Look at it this way, did you get infected in the time you are using WSA? If not then it's doing a great job. If yes then complain all the way!
    OFF TOPIC: BTW, did you noticed the only one product that got a 100% in the test? :D

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Only if the user encountered malware that WSA successfully prevented. If the user never encountered malware while using WSA, it's impossible to judge. It's like me saying my elephant repellent is doing a great job just because I've never been attacked by one in the street.

I do think that WSA has the potential to be a very good AV though.

16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Not really, most users would noticed a difference in their computer if he/she was infected. Slow browsing, slow startup, can't access most security/anti-virus sites, redirection, etc. It's really not hard to know that you are infected you know.
    EDIT: I've misread, lol. If the user never encountered any malware then good for him. BTW, the same thing can be said with other av's.

17. sturgess

sturgess Registered Member

skudo 12 "Not really, most users would noticed a difference in their computer if he/she was infected." Wrong, the good malware is never discovered until you receive your bank statement, it's the bad malware that crashes your machine. skudo 12 "did you get infected in the time you are using WSA? If not then it's doing a great job. If yes then complain all the way" If the security I have installed fails and allows my bank account to be emptied the last thing on my mind will be sending a strongly worded complaint.

18. STV0726

STV0726 Registered Member

I purchased many licenses when they were cheap. I'm stuck. :D

19. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello all,

I have NOT given up on WSA Essentails just because this latest test results were not the greatest. I have seen (and repaired) infected systems running paid versions of AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, and Norton (just to name a few) in the last few years, and we all know no software is perfect.

With that said, if one of my five systems running WSA becomes infected, then my attitude is subject to change on short notice. o_O

20. poo bear

poo bear Registered Member

This thread made distrurbing reading till I went to Amazon UK and Amazon.com and looked at customer reviews for Webroot, Bitdefender and the rest.............

Says it all.

AV best perfomer has plenty of one stars reviews for Bitdefender 2012 as well as those who give the higher scores.

Webroot does significantly better on both sites.

So I say ask the users, not those who make unbiased tests which always depend on the parameters they set out rather than what happens in the real world with real people.

My conclusion, all suites have good and bad pioints, nothing has yet shown up as a problem with Webroot for me, if you need a little more reassurance then do what most others do and add another cross checking software package.

Thats all folks!

21. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Registered Member

Hi "PrevxHelp",

Its better if WSA Mobile Security can participate on upcoming AV-Comparatives 2012 mobile review. The participation details are on av-comparatives website :)

Regards,
    Dark Lord

22. No_script

No_script Registered Member

Sorry but thats crap, Webroot is not good at the moment. That is the truth. It can't pick up rootkits one bit and who knows what other malware gets in. Sad because I really liuke the product but it's really not up to standard..

23. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Cite your real source, not a "testing environment".

Only firsthand source I can cite is that it caught 9/10 drive by TDL4 installers prior to execution, and the 10th ran but its payload was neutered (system driver not-installed, MBR not modified, no malicious code left running). Interesting note: The 10th left an install log that was not removed, a DLL that nothing pointed to, and the installer itself was left in the IE cache until three hours later when it was detected as well and those files were cleaned up too. Even though the machine never got infected, that would be a fail according to the AV-C test.

By the way, you're being somewhat aggressive there. Are you saying the Webroot techs that have posted on the community with observation are lying through their teeth?

24. Well i did get a bootkit on my PC while using WSA. Luckily i had an image stored and cd boot recovery disc to fix it. but it was so long ago and an earlier build. Even so it did not deter my faith in the product. There is not one AV out there that is bulletproof.

25. No_script

No_script Registered Member

Webroot just doesn't protect you, I've probably been infected 10 times over the last 7 days + the false positives. I wish it was good, I really like the slim nature of it but cloud anti virus just doesn't work.

I'm not saying the tech's are lying but they are not doing a very good job. The product sucks frankly. And It hink Webroot obviously paid PCmag to promote the product and give it high ratings.

The only decent product out there is comodo firewall + defense, it's near impossible to disable it or knock it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.