av comparative to lower nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by pettyracing, Feb 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettyracing

pettyracing Registered Member

I am a longtime nod32 user and love the program. I was surprised to hear that av comparative indicated that their march 1 on demand release will be lowering nod32's rating from advanced+ to advanced. First time in a long time.

The complete results are not out yet, but an overview is available at their website (can't link to it), under comparatives and above the notebook info.

Being no expert in this area, I would not even know why but results will be forthcoming. Kaspersky and a few others again top the list. This website seems to have more validity as relates to testing than most.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

3. IBK

IBK AV Expert

ESET and Symantec would merit an ADVANCED+, but they missed it for a handful of files. Both products were the only ones that were able to detect 100% of all polymorphic viruses and are known to lead to only few false positives. Please read the report in detail when it is out and do not put too much value in just one test (this applies anytime and to any test).

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I've noticed that very often, when someone's pet product is rated highly, they rush to point out as much. When something like this happens, they rush just as quickly to say it makes no difference. Rather like having one's cake and eating it too.

Personally, I'm surprised that NOD32 even rates "Advanced". I've found so much malware it misses, including almost all of the keyloggers I've been playing with recently, I would expect a lower rating.

(To answer the question, no, I did not always submit the missed malware. Why? Because over the years, Eset has never once added a detection based on my having sent it in.)

Oh no, now I've gone and ruffled some feathers again.

5. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

What AV do you use IBK? (if you dont mind me asking!)

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

nixie21, I don't think he will tell you. :D

Anyway, regarding NOD32's results... NOD is a very good product and its detection rates are nice, but its weak point that made it fail to receive the A+ certification (of course among other reasons perhaps) is their reaction time for samples received. We should admit it is fast for very dangerous and spreaded viruses, but really slow for all other threats. Sometimes it seems they rely too much on heuristics. :(

It's not a bash just an objective observation. :) I wish them luck in all the future tests and I am certain they'll improve.

7. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

It would be nice to know what 'The Tester' uses on their computers though!

I like NOD32, I was going to try Kaspersky, but I am not sure it is necessary.

8. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

The horror.. The horror!

9. madaro

madaro Guest

What's the big deal ? Every independent tester has their own set of test samples, all their tests give different results, they all categorize the programs differently, and yet, over the years long before av tests became such a controversial subject, I have never had an antivirus program that I was using at the time fail to protect my computer when it was exposed to a threat. I just don't understand why people get so distraught over a bunch of numbers and percentages, seems rather trivial to me, anyway, I have a couple of months left to my NOD32 license before I renew and it seems to protect one of my computers as well as AVG Anti-Malware protects the other. Thanks for letting me express my thoughts on what seems to be a touchy subject in this forum. Have a great day eveyone ! and be well.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.