AV Boot CDs vs. PrivateFirewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gud4u, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I downloaded & burned isos for Avira, Kaspersky and BitDefender AV rescue disks and ran them today. No problems, just checking out current versions.

Avira rescue CD has no network interface, but both Kaspersky and BitDefender AV rescue disks do establish a network interface, thus both Kaspersky and BD apps automatically update AV database prior to scans.

Apparently, running the AV boot CDs set FireFox from allowed to non-allowed in PFW HIPS. After running the AV boot CDs and booting normally from HD:
    - PFW HIPS required me to allow FireFox (originally set as default browser) to execute.
    - Since PFW HIPS had found FireFox not allowed, PFW next required me to allow outbound connections from FireFox (I have 'alert on outbound' checked in PFW settings).

I suspect that one of the AV boot CDs simply reset 'default browser' from FireFox to something else or simply default browser undefined.

Not a difficult problem, but interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.