AV Boot CD that supports wireless connection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by J_L, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Is there one of those with good detection rates?

My computer is upstairs away from the router, so I can't update through ethernet on it.

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

You can download and burn an AVIRA Rescue CD. The Malware signatures are up to date at the time of download. The DrWeb Live CD Malware signatures are also up to date at the time of download.

Relative Scan Speeds: AVIRA = Fast, DrWeb = Slow

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I have Avira installed already though, but thanks for mentioning Dr.Web, I'll try it out.

4. harlan4096

harlan4096 Registered Member

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Actually, how often does that Kaspersky link update? Seems like it's still using December 12th's definitions, while Dr. Web updates every day.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Kaspersky Rescue Disk doesn't boot properly on my system. Looks like I'm going to use Dr. Web after all.

8. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

If nothing works try Bitdefenders Rescue cd http://kb.bitdefender.com/site/KnowledgeBase/article/627/ Is based on a real Linux distribution (Knoppix) and not home baked like certain others. Should be one of the better for compatibility with chipsets/hd controller/network.

I think most rescue cd´s update signatures from normal web connection, if that is working of course. Old links does not mean much.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Unfortunately Bitdefender Rescue CD causes an "Out of Range" error on my monitor, most likely because of its faulty EDID. Therefore, it's not an option for me.

10. harlan4096

I think every some days, don't know sure how many, even though You can use the network configurator to setup Your network device.

Regards.

11. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Well may be easier to just download all of them and test away. Sardu make it a click click operation http://www.sarducd.it/antivirus.html You will need latest beta to use new Avira http://www.sarducd.it/Beta.html All you have to do is have a usb stick ready, click download links from within program - make usb. Or now also cd. Have not tried that yet.

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I can't believe I didn't notice until now.
    Dr.Web LiveCD was scanning the wrong hard drive the entire time. It actually can't detect anything on my RAID system.

13. Mattchu

Mattchu Registered Member

14. TheKid7

Which RAID do you have?

15. TheKid7

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@Mattchu: I tried a Knoppix-based cd, but it said Out of Range.

@TheKid7: Nvidia RAID 0.

Just retried Kaspersky Rescue Disk, and it can boot on my system, but doesn't detect RAID or update wirelessly either.

17. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

UBCD4Win supports wireless connectivity,but not by default,the relevant driverpack needs to be enabled before creation.

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'll consider that, but the download is quite large and a bit outdated (most likely with less effective scanners). Updating will probably require hundreds more megabytes.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

After examining Avira Rescue System, once again the RAID drive stays undetected :ouch:

Ugh, I wonder if any of these supports my "exotic" hardware.

20. TheKid7

I know someone who successfully used the Avira Rescue System on a RAID5. I think that he also successfully used the Dr.Web Live CD on his RAID5.

21. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The default UBCD4Win still has a few useful AM scanners KVRT,Emsi Free,Avira (albeit v9),VIPRE and SAS amongst others.

In my own build I've added Sophos CLS and Dr.Web Cureit,others can be added with varying degrees of difficulty.Most likely it'll require a DVD build if you add a lot of additional stuff.

As for updating,I create an updated DVD version once monthly and also have a USB Drive build which can be kept constantly up to date.Some of the scanners can be updated on the fly too for convenience.

Another plus point is that you can add specific drivers for your hardware if required.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  22. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Registered Member

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@TheKid7: It really depends on what drivers are included in the CD. As far as I know, mine aren't.

@andyman35: I'll try UBCD4Win next.

@jasonbourne: Already know about those.

24. RedDawn

RedDawn Registered Member

25. harlan4096

You are welcome, the previous links where KRD appears, are obsolete, this is the last build for now and is updated every 1 or 2 weeks with updated bases ...

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.