Autostart Explorer tip

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Gavin - DiamondCS, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Why not replace Autostart Explorer from TDS-3 with our free tool, Autostart Viewer :)

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=asviewer

Simply find the file autexplr.exe in your TDS3\Ext.Sys folder, and rename it as a backup. Now rename the freeware asviewer.exe there and rename it autexplr.exe !

Now when you want to check your autostarts you can do so quickly, directly from TDS-3 - and see all known autostart locations.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Nice tip Gavin! Thanks :D

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wished i could add it beside it, as i like the Autostart Explorer very much, which is much shorter :) and thus easier to look at the few lines i'm familiar with, and at other times i like to use the ASViewer.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The way I did it:

Find ASVIEWER.EXE in the AutoStart Viewer folder (you can do a "Search" for that exe if you can't remember where you put it, then right-click the "Search" result on that name and choose "Open Containing Folder" from the context menu that pops up).

Right-click ASVIEWER.EXE and then click on "Copy" in the context menu.

Go to the EXT.SYS sub-folder in the TDS folder, right-click in a blank space and click on "Paste" in the context menu (that will put ASVIEWER.EXE in a place of its' own there).

Then highlight the autexplr.exe with your cursor and right-click it and choose "Rename" from the context menu. Type autexplrold.exe in the box, move the cursor to a blank space and left-click to make it take.

Then highlight ASVIEWER.EXE, right-click it and choose "Rename" from the context menu. Type autexplr.exe in the box, move off to a blank place and left-click to make that stick.

You're done. The next time you click on "System Analysis/Autostart Explorer" in TDS, you'll get the full-monty from AutoStart Viewer.

Took awhile to type this, but less than a minute to actually DO it. Thought some "newbie-friendly" instructions might help. Pete

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Nice work, thanks Pete :)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Nice instructions Pete, thanks a lot!

Maybe we can add it to the plugins folder for the same reason to have them both available?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.