autorun.inf and n.com

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Mok, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mok

Mok Registered Member

Hello,

I bought a WD 320GB passport and it wasn't working, so brought it back to the store, they tried it out and it seemed to work, brought it home and it looks like they infected the drive with some virus.

I plugged it into my Windows XP (with all latest patches and service packs) laptop including nod32 with latest virus definitions installed and now there is a hidden n.com and autorun.inf file in the c: and also on the external usb passport.

I was able to get rid of the n.com and autorun.inf by formatting the usb drive on a windows 7 machine, my windows 7 machine is not getting infected by the two files...however on the windows xp machine, i tried to delete the two files and they just reappear again.

Question is, even though this is a known threat, nod32 did not recognize it? Is it because there are too many variants?

I would like to prevent having to reformat the windows xp machine if possible. Please advise.

Thanks
    Mok~

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

First of all, make sure that you have the latest version of EAV 4.0.424 installed. If the suspicious files are detected by ESET, you can check the threat log for details about the application that created them. Otherwise you can create a log from SysInspector and check it for suspicious files, or send it to customer care for perusal.

3. Mok

Mok Registered Member

Thanks, I'll send it to you ESET as it was not detected by ESET

4. Mok

Mok Registered Member

emailed to samples [at] eset [dot] com

password: infected

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.