Automating the whole backup cycle?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by davidm_uk, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidm_uk

davidm_uk Registered Member

With True Image Home v10 is it possible to automate the whole backup cycle, for example:

full backup,
    20 differential daily backups,
    full backup,
    delete all old differential backups,
    delete all but last "n" full backups,
    repeat above.

I know I can limit the space or number of files in a backup area, but would prefer to set up a repeating cycle like the one above. I'm currently using Genie Backup Manager, which does support this, but has other limitations which TI does not have.

Thanks.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Check out the user manual and decide for yourself or download the trial version and decidce for yourself. Nothing like getting your hands greasy to tell if there's sawdust inthe transmission.

sh

3. davidm_uk

"Check out the user manual and decide for yourself or download the trial version and decidce for yourself. Nothing like getting your hands greasy to tell if there's sawdust inthe transmission.

sh"

I've already purchased TI, just for the image backup, but now looking to see if I can use it to replace Genie Backup Manager. I have looked through the manual and all the help screens but can't see an obvious way of doing what I want.

Maybe I'm missing something, or there's a non obvious way, or maybe TI just won't do it? That's why I thought I'd ask the "experts" o_O

4. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

As schieber suggests you need to try it, because the devil is in the detail.

However, here are three ways of rotating backups.

- Use ATI 10, which apparently has this built in (I have not used ATI 10), or
    - See this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=846178&postcount=4 , or
    - use the secure zone to do this automatically

F.

5. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

On ATI-10, you’ll want to learn to use the Backup Location feature. Can’t say for sure if it will do exactly what you want.

My only suggestion is that you test by backing up a small amount of data to see if you can get the sequence you want; this will speed up your experiment.

6. sara15

sara15 Registered Member

7. davidm_uk

Thanks Sara15,

I'll look out for GBM updates. If it will allow creation of disk images then I'll scrap ATI, particularly as ATI doesn't handle Outlook Express backup properly either.

David.

8. foghorne

Ah well. Out of the frying pan, into the fire. I think GBM will be playing catchup with ATI for quite some time.

F.

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If I understand you correctly, then absolutely ATI10 can do what you want. Make a Backup Location and set the file limits to the number of files (full backups) you want it to keep -- you can also specify size and date limits but you don't have to. If you open ATI10 and click on Backup Locations, then it will basically walk you through the process for creating the Backup Location and setting limits and backup type. create a scheudled task in ATI to make backups to that location. Then select Task Scheduling formthe main ATI10 window and create a task -- it will step you through the process -- Specify Incremental files as the type of backup and specify the number of incrementals you want ATI to keep before making a a new full backup. Set how often and when you want the task to run and ATI will automatically make, name, and delete old files according to the limits specified for that location, including making inc files until it reaches the specified number and then making a new full backup.

If you want to have more than one full backup and associated incs on the disk concurrently, then make a backup location for each set and a scheduled task for each.

Once you set it up, you have like zero maintenance and ATI keeps everything in order.

Just be sure you have ample room on your target disk for the all the backup files.

Good luck, sh

10. foghorne

Indeed - I have pointed out three ways of achieving this in an earlier post, but I think davidm_uk has lost interest in TI.

F.

11. davidm_uk

Well if they get Outlook/Outlook Express email backup working properly I might regain enough interest to test it all out, and if it works ok then use it.
    At the moment at least I know I have GBM tested and working reliably, although it can't do disk images, but that's a second priority anyway.

Thanks to all for your replies.
    David.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have no doubt this should work, but I have to ask why you would do this. If your backup's are important to you this is just upping the odds will get to write an Acronis sob story.

1) If your images are important you should image,verify, and restore to test them. Without restoring you really don't know if you accomplished anything.

2) I don't use either differentials or incrementals. Mainly a time issue, they save space but take longer. But each one you add in the chain increases the odds of a failure. If you are going to do this you should test restore after taking all those differentials.

Again I can't emphasize to strongly, with out test restoring your scenario's you really don't have any idea what will happen.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.