Automating/scripting True Image Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LBSMDF, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBSMDF

LBSMDF Registered Member

Hello....

I have a machine that has Acronis installed on it already, and has a disk image backed up to a second partition (E:)

The software is being utilized in a test lab, where we test new installations of our software, and a lot of the other users of the test lab aren't quite as tech savvy to be able to figure out how to go through restoring the disk image. To circumvent this, I would like to automate the process, so that if they need the machine ghosted, they can just run one program, or type in one command, and the machine will reboot, and start restoring the image.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this? I looked throught he FAQs and the help files within the Acronis software, but wasn't able to find any help there.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew D. Frew
    Test Lab administrator
    LunchByte Systems
    matt@nutrikids.com

2. LBSMDF

LBSMDF Registered Member

Can anyone give me a little help?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. slaker

slaker Registered Member

LBSMDF,

I've had some luck with a semi-automated restore process in my lab environment.

Here's what I did:

I have all my lab PCs set up with three partitions: One for Windows, a small DOS partition and a partition to store my disk images.

The DOS partition is set up with an autoexec.bat that runs the command line trueimage client to restore the Windows partition; the backup file is kept on the images partition.

I have a batch file that overwrites boot.ini on each of my client PCs (I have about 70 to manage, enough that even a "1 click" restore is more than I want to actually do) with one that makes DOS the default boot OS, then forces them to reboot.

If the TrueImage restore fires like it's supposed to, the original boot.ini is restored too, and the system comes up in its "factory" state.

The problem is, my system is clunky and I'm the only person in my office who understands how it works. I was hoping that ATI-Server or Enterprise Server would have a tool to manage restore groups, but that does not appear to be the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.