automatic updating

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rothko, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rothko

rothko Registered Member

hellos,

i have adsl broadband through a router - is there a way to set nod32 to automatically check for updates as soon as my laptop is powered on and connects to the router? I cant seem to get it to work. It updates fine every hour, but i'd like it if it checked for updates as soon as an internet connection was established, and then every hour after this.

I've ticked all the options in the schedule/planner - but not seen nod go and check for updates immediately, any one else have it working?

cheers, lee

2. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Is your laptop plugged into the network when you turn it on, or do you turn the laptop on and then plug it into the network afterwards (for example, 5 minutes later)?

3. rothko

rothko Registered Member

Hi algove,
    i usually just leave it in standby, so when it 'wakes up', i log on and the wireless card kicks in a few seconds later and finds the router and so is then connected to the internet.

ideally, nod32 would then go off and check for updates. to be honest, maybe it is doing that - but its not clear as there is nothing written to the event log after an update has been performed but no updates were available

cheers, lee

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Ah, OK. My home computer is pretty much set up the same way, then. When my computer comes out of standby, it seems that NOD32 checks for updates right away. Sometimes I get a box telling me that the virus signatures have been updated right away.

Other times, I get some messages in the event log alerting me to update failures. This is because my DSL router is set to disconnect from my ISP if the connection has been idle for 5 minutes. It takes a few seconds to reestablish the connection. In the meantime, NOD32 is trying to contact the servers, but it can't. Once the DSL connection gets reestablished, it goes ahead and updates.

As you say, there is no message that tells you, "Update server reached, but no newer updates available." However, if you unplug your DSL modem from the telephone line before waking your laptop, you will be able to duplicate the same warnings I get. This is how I know that NOD32 tries to update whenever I come out of standby.

I assume this happens only if more than 1 hour has passed since the last update, by the way.

5. rothko

rothko Registered Member

cool, thanks for the reply - i'll try that trick of unplugging the modem first :)

cheers, lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.