Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by BarryH, Dec 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Is there a way of setting the updates so they are done automatically?

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello BarryH

I am not completely sure what you mean, so I hope I am giving you the answers you seek. If you are asking about Eset having a fully automatic update function, so it can update itself to a newer version, without intervention of the user, then the answer is no. But as you probably know, Eset's product can be configured to inform you when a new version is available to download. (the download and install will run automaticly from the update window after you have accepted to recive the new version). Here is :How do I configure my ESET security product to regularly check for the latest product version? (5.x) (if you need it). oh..You will always receive module updates automatically, and also virus database updates, unless you are configuring you Eset product to do otherwise.

Regards, Janus

3. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Thanks for the help and apologies for the confusion, I mean virus signature database updates.

I quite often get pop up telling me my Virus Signature Database is not up to date. If I click on the programme, they then update. I wondered if this should be done automatically.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello BarryH

Your nod32 should update the virus database automatically, that is the default setting. One of the reasons that I can think of, for you to receive the message " Virus Signature Database is not up to date" could be that the system date (maybe) is not right, if that is the case then set it to the correct date and restart the computer.

Regards, Janus :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  5. 1basilparmesan2

1basilparmesan2 Registered Member

My NOD32 Antivirus 5 suddenly stopped updating (automatic or manual). Do I have to uninstall and reinstall? Is there an easy fix?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What error do you get if you run update manually?

7. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Mine seems to be the same as 1basilparmesan2 above. It always used to do it automatically but now it doesn't. I've not changed any settings on ESET. Both the system date and time are spot on.

8. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hi

As Marcos writes, does any of you receive any error messages ? like " Virus signature database update failed" or " error 0073" ? What Os are you using and what version of Eset nod32 do you have installed. Info like this will give the guys from Eset support more to work with. In the meantime you can try to clean your update cache, and restart your computer to see if this will do a difference. See here how to :Error downloading file and cannot update virus signature database

Regards, Janus

9. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

I'm on Windows 7 and using version 4.2.71.2 of Eset NOD32.

I see some people are using later versions of NOD32 but I have never had any notification of later versions being available. Even when I've renewed my licence.

As I mentioned earlier, the automatic updates have always worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now I have to do them manually.

10. Marcos

There is no automatic upgrade (PCU) for v4 users as many of them don't want to upgrade yet.

Do you have the automatic update tasks enabled in Scheduler? I assume the computer was running for more than one hour so that the update task could be run, right? (update is run in 60 minute intervals)

11. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Thanks for the help Marcos.

I have 5 boxes showing in Scheduler, 4 are ticked, the only one not ticked reads: Automatic Update After User Logon. Should this be ticked as well?

12. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

As there is no reply from ESET, can I take it that there is no solution to the problem I have with NOD32 not automatically updating?

13. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello

In Scheduler, you have to have" Regular automatic update and Automatic update after dial-up connection" checked for Automatic updates to work. (version 4.x)

Regards, Janus

14. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

Everything in my Scheduler is now ticked and I still can't get automatic updates.

15. Janus

Janus Registered Member

16. Marcos

If you right-click an update task and select Run now, will update run?

17. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Yes, the update will run.

18. Marcos

So if you leave the computer running for at least 2-3 hours and then check the time of the last update task execution in Scheduler, will the time change?
    Couldn't it be that update does not occur automatically only on system startup because Internet connection is not established yet?

19. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Thanks Marcos,

Now I get the update on system startup but even if the Internet is connected all day, I never get any further updates.

I wasn't even getting the updates on system startup before, so this is something new and something that hasn't been happening for quite a while.

20. Marcos

Does that mean that the time of the last update task execution remains same throughout the day?

21. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Yes, unless I do a manual update, the time updates then. I have nothing showing in my Scheduler to say that updates should be done at any other times, is this correct?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  22. rockshox

rockshox Registered Member

Maybe the "Regular automatic update" task in the task scheduler has been modified from the original settings.

Have you tried editing the schedule on the "Regular automatic update" task and confirm it is setup to run "Repeatedly" at 60 minute intervals and "Wait for the next scheduled time" if the task did not run?

23. Marcos

If you schedule a new task that will run the calculator (calc.exe) every hour, will this task be run according to the schedule or only when you run it manually?

24. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Sorry, but there's nothing listed in my scheduler that mentions "Regular Automatic Update"

25. BarryH

BarryH Registered Member

Hello Marcos, not sure how to add items into the scheduler. Any more help please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.