Automatic Updates

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by RCGuy, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Hello, Wilders Security Forums. I know that this may be sort of a strange question, but how can a person tell if what appears as an Automatic Update is genuine or not?

There's a yellow shield sitting in my taskbar which occassionally displays a dialogue ballon which says that automatic updates are ready to be installed. Also, when after clicking on the yellow shield to bring up the installation console, I guess the thing that has made me a bit curious about the installation is that there is no Microsoft logo on it to authentic it.

Attached to this post is an image of my desktop with the Automatic Update console showing, along with the accompanying yellow shield in the taskbar. Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I guess you could check WindowsUpdate.log to see if MS Automatic Update has indeed found new updates.

3. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

there is a must have, you need at first --- "process explorer"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

open it then select the update process. (or you can drag the scope icon onto the upgrade window, proexp will automatically highlight the responsible process)

if the "company name" (column) of that process is Microsoft Corporation,
    the process is 90% real.

4. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

(continued)

if you want a 100% secured solution. double click the responsible process.
    select [Image] tab, then Press [vertify] button, if this process is genuine there will be a text “(vertified)” added before its company name .

hope this may help.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

To verify the contents found via the Windows Update yellow shield, using your IE browser, click Tools > Windows Update > select Custom (so you can see all optional and high priority updates from Microsoft & other programs), compare the Web page with the console.

6. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Oh boy. I tried this and now microsoft.com wants me to install Windows XP Service Pack 3. :doubt: Plus, there's this "Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3" page that I'm suppose read before installing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

Although, I think I'll pass on reading the "Steps" page.( I don't want to want to be up half the night reading all this crap. :cautious: ) However, I still haven't got to the part yet where I'm suppose to be able to see all the optional and high priority updates from Microsoft & other programs. :rolleyes:

7. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

And I guess I did this also. Although, I didn't see anything called "the update process," however, I did download the Process Explorer program, but really didn't understand how to read it. However, there was a line that said "Windows Update Automatic," although I'm not really sure if this line is referring to the yellow shield update in my taskbar.

But I'll keep trying to figure this out, however, I didn't realize that looking into this would end up getting as complex as it has become. :doubt:

8. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

All is well and everything is being taken care of. Sorry about any confusion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.