Automatic shutdown

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Postmudgeon, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Postmudgeon

Postmudgeon Registered Member

One of our 90 NOD32 users has a problem with the scheduled, on-demand scan using up enough CPU to render her computer useless for an hour. It seems to be some interaction with Outlook, and maybe with IE. It has been going on for well over year, despite many efforts to deal with it (upgrading, trying to disable this and that, etc etc etc.)

From other discussions I've seen, it seems there is no solution for a problem like this. So I'd like to just modify the configuration for her computer so it does a scan after she goes home for the day, and then shuts down. And it may be that we'd prefer to schedule after-hours scans for other users, too, even though they don't experience this particular problem.

I can schedule a command-line scan if there is no better way to do this, but I'd rather not have to maintain scripts to do it. Is there a way to schedule a shutdown to happen automatically when the scan is done, without having to do a command-line scan?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Basically there's no need to run scheduled scans unless you want to detect potential threats that users might bring on removable media (real-time protection does not scan inside other than sfx archives), however, such threats should be detected and blocked upon extraction.
    Normally it should suffice to leave startup scan tasks enabled.

Currently this is not possible but it's something to be be considered for future versions.

3. Postmudgeon

Postmudgeon Registered Member

I think a startup scan would essentially mean it takes an hour to start her computer in the morning, which would be even worse. Her computer is not usable during a scan. Other computers of the same vintage and same management setup don't have that problem.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If that happens, there's certainly something wrong. Startup scans take seconds or 1-2 minutes at maximum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.