Automatic renaming of computers

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by nnhood, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nnhood

nnhood Registered Member

I work in a school and just wondered if anyone else out there has been using Snap Deploy and it's ability to automatically rename client stations?

We are getting in 196 laptops and I've already purchased Snap Deploy for imaging these.

I'm planning on doing about 25 at a time in a closed environment. Basically 25 laptops, a dhcp server, and a server plugged into an isolated gigabit switch. Sometimes before we would crash the network if we imaged over it, or else it would just be really slow... much better on an isolated switch.

Anyway... I wanted to deploy to the 25 laptops using for example a naming pool, HS-CART1-WS1, HS-CART1-WS25.

We're using mobile carts, so I wanted to make sure each laptop was named accordingly.

Thanks, just wanted to see if anyone was actually using this feature and that it worked, cause that in itself will save a lot of time.

Matt

2. memnoch

memnoch Registered Member

It's not automatic but you could run sysprep on the source of the image, so that when you apply that image to the other laptops it will ask you for a network name.

3. nnhood

nnhood Registered Member

Memnoch,

I know that in snap deploy, there was a window that asked for a range of machine names to use when imaging? So that doesn't actually do anything?

I was hoping it would name them as it went, I don't expect to have control over which machine gets what name, but it would be nice to just have them all named without having to go back and do that after they are imaged.

Matt

4. athomas

athomas Registered Member

The snap deploy userguide has a section (Deployment > Computer name) that describes how to use a variable to sequentially number each machine. It's page 48 in the PDF. I'd upload it, but it's a bit too big.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.