Automatic Face Recognition and Surveillance

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Minimalist, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/10/automatic_face_.html

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

More security... Of course, they will control it, so bring your own cameras while you still can!

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Facial-recognition software might have a racial bias problem
    http://www.nextgov.com/big-data/201...ftware-might-have-racial-bias-problem/127327/

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Time to whip out my mirror glasses and sombrero. Of course, apart from the varying levels of recognition accuracy by race and demographic, the overwhelming problem is that of false positives and absence of redress. As with any biometric, there's a difficult problem of avoidance or repudiation.

And you'll get the usual pseudo-junk-science from the lavishly paid forensic "science" companies wanting to deploy this stuff everywhere, and making grand sales pitches to LE.

5. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Ignoring the technology capabilities. You also need to consider racial bias based on the pool of criminals that they use to populate will be disproportionately minorites (based on the prison population). This will further increase the degree in which minorities are watched during there daily activities and further skew the pool of applicants used to populate the database.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Maybe I'd cheer a little if they were going after corporate tax dodgers, evil landlords, etc ;)

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I can not wait, until it is implemented into payment systems, no need to use a credit card or a sticky label, to pay with, just smile at the camera. :cool:

8. deBoetie

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Why not just use camouflage based on collages of actual (or at least, more life-like) faces? That would be harder to train against, I think.

10. deBoetie

I think the idea is swamping the records with chaff, so it's harder for them to set appropriate thresholds. Maybe a whole range of face-like things in varying degrees from cartoon to uncanny valley would be the thing. Add in some orang-utans and chimpanzees for fun.

Adding an fake eye or two to one's own physog. plus some make up might complete the picture, along with a sombrero and mirror sunglasses.

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.