Automatic drivers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Snoper, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Snoper

Snoper Registered Member

What's your option about automatic driver updaters?

2. guest

guest Guest

Convenient, I guess. Though I don't see the point since Windows Update offers the same functionality, at least in Windows 8.

Are these third-party driver-updaters even accurate?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2015
  3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I don't use it, as I have all automatic installations and updates disabled. I just prefer to install/update my software and drivers manually.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

IObit's Driver Booster is excellent. It silently installs any found driver updates without any user intervention needed, and there is a free version. The first few releases had a very small database of driver updates, but it has increased greatly with more recent releases. Unlike a lot of driver updaters, it has not so far suggested any incompatible driver updates.

@GrafZeppelin while Windows Update can install drivers for devices without any, and also find driver updates, there a few things to consider. Windows Update does not have driver for every device, so for some devices it can't install drivers. The drivers offered by Windows Update are often out of date, while driver update software can more often than not find more recent drivers than Windows will.

It is common for driver updaters to find incompatible driver updates from time to time. But, I have not had such a problem so far with Driver Booster.

Of course another point is that it is debatable as to whether or not there is any need to update drivers othen than video drivers

5. roger_m

Also it's worth noting that in the majority of cases, computer manufactures do not provide the latest driver updates for the computers they sell. For around about 6 months or so they will provide occasional driver updates through their website, and increasingly also through their own update software they preinstall. But after that no longer provide driver updates even though newer drivers are being released. About the only exception to this is Lenovo, who continue to provide driver updates for old models, and unlike most manufacturers, provide driver downloads for operating systems that were released long after a computer came out e.g. providing Windows 8.1 drivers for my 8 year old Thinkpad.

6. guest

guest Guest

From what I can tell, they are up to date. WU always offer the latest version that I know of. Also, all the drivers used by my computer are obtainable, as far as I can tell. I'm using a laptop though, so that might throw huge differences into the factor.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I currently am using Driver Booster also.

But like anything pc, linux or android if you treat them like you treat your toasters. Then don't update your drivers.

8. roger_m

I highly doubt they are update. I'm sure if you were to install Driver Booster, it would find a number of updates.

Most drivers can found by Windows Update even though they are usually old versions. But there are some less common devices for which it can't find drivers.

9. guest

guest Guest

Well, I'm personally sure they are up to date. Let's leave it at that. ;)

10. roger_m

@GrafZeppelin If that's what you want to believe then that's up to you I guess...

11. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

12. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

If it is not broken, don't fix it. Or at least do a backup image before you fix it. That excludes automatic drivers backup.

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

BAD idea.

14. Tony

Tony Registered Member

@roger_m
    My NT & Kernel system was constantly consuming CPU and after installing driver booster and then updating all drivers it has now solved my cpu usage.
    :):):) Thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.