auto updates

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Roadkil, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roadkil

Roadkil Registered Member

why would scheduled updates suddenly stop working? im running nod32 v3.0.642.0 if i click the update button on the left side the update occurs but it is not running the hourly update checks? any ideas? or suggestions. i even removed the old update scheduler and made a new scheduler task and it does the same thing =(

2. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hi Roadkil,

Are the only entries in the logs a result of your trying to manually update? When you first boot up does an update attempt get logged?

Had you changed the default settings in any way besides the one new task you created??

Thank you,
    BFG

3. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey BFG,

The problem with the automatic virus definitions updates not working is not new to this version of EAV 3.0.642. It happens because the Automatic Update in the EAV Scheduler is set to update virus defs. right after you type in your Windows password to log into Windows.
    I assume that only people whose PCs connect to the Internet using wires (either connected directly to the router or via cable/DSL modem) get their virus defs. updated automatically in EAV 3.0.642.

I've already reported this bug but I haven't gotten any feedback from Marcos or another ESET moderator, just HiTech_boy who happens to be a user like me. (See : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1198898 )

I'm awaiting for an official response from ESET on this matter since EAV version 3.0.621 didn't have this problem. It updated right after my laptop got connected to my WIRELESS router.

After I updated EAV 3.0.621 to 3.0.642 (I did an upgrade without unistalling 3.0.621) my laptop never gets updated virus definitions on boot up and I have always to do it manually even when new virus definitions are posted at the ESET web site.

Even when this BUG is not “life threatening” (so to speak) it's annoying because all paid AV's I know about update their virus definitions automatically right after your laptop boots into Windows and gets connected wirelessly to the Internet.

At least this problem is something you've confirmed that it's happening to this new version and not a particular problem related to my configuration.

Best regards,

Carlos

4. wiak

wiak Registered Member

works fine here
    Wireless 802.11n
    NOD32 3.0.642

5. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

Well it might work for you but it's not working for me [Intel PRO/Wireless 3945abg Network Connection].

I'm behind a Netgear WIRELESS router and I also run ZAAS 7.0.462 as my software firewall. All the permissions for EAV 3.0.642 are exactly the same ones version 3.0.621 had : EKRN.exe (Eset service) => Trusted Zone (ok)/ Internet Zone (ok)/ Server in trusted zone (ok)/ Server in internet zone (ok)/ Send Mail (ok) also and the program Trust level set to III (Super trusted) so I don't see why it's not updating right after a wireless connection is established but BEFORE.

To confirm this, I opened the EAV “gui” and checked under TOOLS==> SCHEDULER===> and the task named REGULAR AUTOMATIC UPDATE and it was run BEFORE my laptop got an IP address form the Wireless router (I checked the date and time under this task) and I can confirm it happend right after I logged into Windows XP Pro SP-2.

What would I be doing wrong then ? Could you shed some light on this, please?

Thank you,

Carlos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.