Auto Update in v.4

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by vajlent, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vajlent

vajlent Registered Member

Why doesn't the program components update to latest versions?

For now I have 4.0.314 but the latest is 4.0.417, shouldn't the program
    update it self to latest or am I missing something here?

In my settings I have the option "always update program components" enabled!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Simply because no PCU has been issued for v3/v4 yet. If a PCU is massively distributed to millions of users at once, the probability of discovering some interferences with other software rises so without long-lasting testing. Future versions will most likely allow subscribing to an rss feed so that you're always informed about the latest release. Currently you'd need to visit www.eset.com to subscribe for receiving news about program releases.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Here's an idea, make PCU's and make them optional. "Click here to update to the latest nod32". It seems like that's where the RSS idea is going...

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The option to ask before downloading and installing a program component update has always been selected by default. A PCU cannot be released without the program being out for a reasonably long time, otherwise it would jeopardize the security and potentially also the functionality of millions of users' computers. During a beta testing, it's never possible to discover all potential issues as there will never be enough people testing beta versions on various configurations. This is the reason why no software is perfect no matter what country the vendor's from or how large the company is, and every vendor needs to release fixes to certain issues when discovered and reported by users.

5. kairii

kairii Registered Member

so there wont be a components update released for auto update?? If i want to update to the new version i have to reinstall the program again?

6. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Yep. For a while anyways.

ESS.40 has got so many bugs in it anyways right now even with the latest release why would anyone want to update ESS components.

I don't know what was going through ESET's mind when they decided to release ESS (or NOD32) 4.0 as a NON BETA. It's almost a joke. HAA HAA...very funny.

NOT!!!

For all intents and purposes it appears that ESS 4.0 was written for Windows Vista and tested (by ESET) using Windows Vista.

Anybody using XP is on their own it seems.

I got some news for ESET:

GET THE PROBLEMS FIXED!! I'M NOT GOING TO DOWN-GRADE MY SYSTEM TO WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7. NEITHER ARE ANY OF MY FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES OR THE MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF CURRENT XP USERS. XP IS HERE TO STAY. IF MICROSOFT CAN ACCEPT THAT SO CAN YOU!!

I'VE SUFFERED ENOUGH EMBARRASSMENT WITH ALL THE HIGH PRAISE I HAVE GIVEN YOUR PRODUCT, TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND ASSOCIATES, BEFORE ESS 4.0 CAME OUT, ONLY TO HAVE THEM INSTALL ESS 4.0 AND EXPERIENCE ALL THEM PROBLEMS!!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  7. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Well darrendavis, really don't know what your problem is but I'm running XP Pro SP3 and haven't had one iota's worth of problems. Been running the same program on two different machines and both are smooth sailing. Dunno?

To Kairii: No problem to upgrade. All you have to do is dl v4.0 and install right on top of what you have now. Have done it this way on every upgrade, nary a problem. If you feel nervous about doing it, just make a backup of your HD before you run the upgrade, then you can always restore and go back to old version. :)

8. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

It is causing problems in Vista as well. The problems are across all OS's

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'll tell you what: They wanted to release their new version 4 software which worked perfectly fine on all their test systems and all the systems I use so they could have the product as a viable option at the CeBit convention. Sounds perfectly logical to me, why would they want to have used v3.

10. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Sorry. I just cannot believe that, not for one moment.

I'll tell ya what my problem is.

First, I have next to nothing installed on my OS: just XP Pro SP3, all the updates, necessary drivers, a few little Knick-knack programs and ESS 4.0. Every time I use the ESS 4.0 Desktop UI or the Toolbar Icon to run certain things (Updates, In-Depth Scan, Custom Scan, etc...) I get an Application popup whenever I end the Windows session(restart/shutdown) afterwards.

Second, I have been corresponding with ESET Customer Care for over 3 weeks now regarding these Popups. Primarily I have been getting nothing but rudimentary responses from them, so much that I find them insulting. Their last response was a wringer: they claimed that they did not see the Application popup at all (they're probably investigating this issue using some other OS, not XP) and go on to claim that my experiences with the popup are isolated. Yeah...right!!

Thirdly, I have installed ESS 4.0 on 2 other systems using XP Pro SP3. These other 2 systems are completely different in configuration (hardware/software)from each other AND mine. They get the same Application popups I do on my system.

Still more. I installed ESS 4.0 on another system: a laptop running Vista Home Premium. At first ESS 4.0 ran pretting dang good. I used it for about 3 hours before I gave it back to the owner and it was running perfectly. That was a week ago. Guess what? Not only has that system started getting the same Application popups but's it been seriously affecting some of the other network programs the owner was using. I reverted back to ESS 3.0 and all the problems were gone.

11. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Don't care if you believe it or not, you asked, I replied. EOS.

12. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Okay. I can live with that.

What does EOS mean?

13. miki69

miki69 Registered Member

End Of Story :)

14. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Oh.

Duh.

I'm just trying to get all the information that I can about this popup issue.

She doesn't get the popup.

She might have an off-the-shelf system; mine's home-made. My XP Pro is OEM.

She wants to be a you-know-what about it....fine.

I guess that's one of the drawbacks about being open and honest. I don't mean to offend people with my words. I just say what's on my mind: right, wrong, somewhere in between.

15. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Eh, she is a "he", thank you. My system is also homebrew which I put together in 2002 when I was 65 yrs old. Also, we do have one thing in common, I speak my mind too. Just had to clear up a few facts....

16. DarrenDavisLeeSome

Which version of XP Pro are you using? OEM or Retail?

If OEM, Standard or Academic?

Mine's OEM Standard.

17. PatG

PatG Registered Member

OEM Home on laptop, retail XP Pro that I purchased back in 2007 to replace win2k on desktop. As I stated before, no probs w/either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.