Authentium's 5.0 engine

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firecat, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

These comments have existed on the Internet for more than a month now, I was foolish to have missed it. Anyway, there is some interesting nostalgia about the 5.0 version engine of Authentium technology on John C. Sharp's blog. You can read it here:

http://authentium.blogspot.com/2007/05/version-v50-release.html

Some interesting tidbits:

Does this mean a better/faster unpack engine, or packer specific detections in the heuristic engine? I'd say the latter, but the article isn't entirely clear on that.
    Of course, there's also a healthy signature detection improvement:

Whether all these signature detection and heuristic detection improvements come solely from the use of the F-Prot 4.x engine, or whether there is custom technology involved is uncertain (judging by the claims I'd say there is custom technology in at least the heuristics).

I guess Authentium's rather average showing did put on a bit of stress on the company. Calling something a "nine month old product" and saying that it is why the detection rates were "poor" is not an excuse, after all this nine month old product was what was available in the market at the time of testing. But anyway...:)

i.e. hopefully we can expect a pretty good product in the version 5.0 release from Authentium, and also it is possible that this time Authentium and F-Prot might differ in detection rates by more than just a few percent. Time will tell. :)

What do you guys think? :)

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

This is just Authentium implementing the same engine already used in F-Prot 6. The current difference in detection between F-Prot 6 and Authentium is about 130,000. Authentium is about 514,000 and F-Prot 6 is 647,711.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Still, Authentium claims their heuristic engine is "better than most zero-day approaches in the market". We have clearly seen at AV-comparatives that F-Prot's heuristic is definitely good, but not as good as BitDefender or NOD32 or KAV 7 or Avira, for example (false positives excluded). So where does this tall claim come from? o_O

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Marketing hype and it is dramatic improvement over the engine they were using. I would also say that F-Prot is improved from the last retrospective test and would fare better today than when the test was conducted. The Inspector and the rest of the folks at Frisk are continually striving to improve.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This is the difference between the F-Prot 3 engine and the new one in FPAV6. So, as flyrfan suggests, Authentium have not developed their own engine, but are simply going to use the latest FPAV one (and supplement it with their own definitions). And judging from recent results of av-test.org, CSAV 4 was slipping fast in detection rates, particularly of zoo malware.

Because I was able to obtain free licenses from various UK Computer magazines, I ran the old CSAV 3/4 for several years as a primary scanner; support was superb, on-demand scan speed was even faster than NOD and it had a very small memory footprint. So I am looking forward to at least trying Authentium/Command 5 Home version when it comes out.

However, for those of us with multiple machines, of the two, FPAV 6 will still be the better choice because of its unbeatable Home license.

Attached Files:

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Update here .

Seems like a release for CSAV 5 is awhile off yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.