Authentic XP SP3 Disks

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I was looking for one and was surprised about just how little information there was out there regarding them. Most places just talk about burning the ISO yourself. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't released one yet, and if they have I'm surprised about how little information they've made available about it's existence.

So I end up stumbling upon this link:

https://om2.one.microsoft.com/opa/V...-6b25-4f99-8913-3e3453ad966d&LocaleCode=en-us

Only now I'm a little confused. Is this the entire OS, or just the SP3 update? I want a disk with everything on it that I can use after a reformat. After navigating to the next screen from that link I see the words "Patch CD" in the part description. That doesn't inspire much confidence in me. Plus at that price, I'm guessing that's all it is.

So I guess my inquiry is, does anybody know if that's the entire OS on that CD, or just the update? And if it's the latter, does anybody know where I can find an authentic XP Home SP3 disk?... not just some Joe-Schmo burnt ISO copy.

Thanks in advance.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Its the Service Pack.

I do have one via MSDN, also available through TechNet but both are MS subscription.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have seen a few on ebay, but nothing in the retail stores. The only authentic ones i've seen in retail stores come with the recent models of ultraportable laptops.

4. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Considering Windows XP was discontinued so soon after SP3 was released, MS probably decided to save money by not pressing OEM XPSP3 disks. Just take an XPSP2 disk and slipstream SP3 to it. That is authentic as what MS will provide.

If they are making XPSP3 disk for the ultra-portable disks, they probably only sell them direct to the OEM makers for distribution only with those PCs since retail purchasing isn't an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.